It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

Post subject: sp-808 live capabilities
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:57 pm 

How does the 808 perform live compared to say the 404 or 555?

I'm digging through the manuals, though it would be good to get an idea from someone who has actually used them.

IN particular, creating loops and playing them back as seamlessly and easily as possible from an external source, applying effects to external source and so on...

The 808 actually looks like it has the largest range of effects, are they better or worse than the newer models? If I understand right, everything on the 808 is loaded/saved onto zip in real time. That sounds like a bit of a disaster for live performance.

I could probably get a 808 for about the same price as a 404, the 555 a little more. Is the 808 a reasonable option?

Post subject: Re: sp-808 live capabilities
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:56 am 

I'm not sure if live looping on the 808 is a good idea. However, I bet there are some cats who have done it, and done it well.

But yeah, the zip disk is the potential disaster. A zip can hold a lot of samples, no doubt...but, you still have to manually load banks once you've exhausted the samples in your current bank. You certainly wouldn't want to stop and load a new zip - although, if your performance timing allows it, it doesn't take too long.

There is a delay loading a new bank on a zip, and it depends a bit on how large the samples are on each pad.

I used it strictly as a trigger box, loading banks and disks between live sets, and triggering samples for fun, mostly.

Post subject: Re: sp-808 live capabilities
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:58 pm 

jetson wrote:
I used it strictly as a trigger box, loading banks and disks between live sets, and triggering samples for fun, mostly.

wih witch size zip ?