It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

Post subject: just won an 808 on ebay, and i just read all the complaints
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57 pm 

maaaan!!!
i read all the post about zip drive problems n shit on here and now i feel like im screwed. the 808 looks like a pretty cool machine but it seems like there are alot of problems. is there really a big issue with the zip drive or is it just that people wanna upgrade it and have alot of problems. i couldnt really distinguish between the two while reading all the post.
otherwise, is it a pretty cool machine, i know it doesnt have a sequencer but could be synced up to one which would be really cool. 4 note poly sounds like a shit storm but roland seems to make everything with the least amount of anything you'll need, so it unlocks a world of work arounds.
im just hoping that the machine functions without a bunch of issues, ill just figure the rest out.
let me know peeps!!!
peece
Spring!

Post subject: Re: just won an 808 on ebay, and i just read all the complaints
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:48 pm 

What up Spring!

I have not had an issue with my SP and I got it about a month after it's release in 98. Thing has been a great tool and a great addition to my recording. Now I'm not a pro by any means but I do what I do on it and to me it's a hot machine. I produce rugged Hip Hop if that make a difference.

xPEACE goes out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:41 pm 

well, this machine is cool as fuck, really. but i have had it glitch a few times now. the screen will just go blank and all frizzy and id have to turn it off/on to get back to work. if anything is in the recorder then im screwed. and i lost a bank of samples out of nowhere once too. other than that its cool as hell. im trying to figure it out tho because it doesnt have quantize which is useful sometimes but ive been rockin a loop on the 4 track, get a nice groove going then im stuck copy and pasting the same shit over and over. i think i might begin to resample patterns. like, rock a groove in the 4 track, bounce it to a pad/ pattern 1. then add more to the 4 track and bounce that/ pattern 2, then when i got it all, rock the beat from the pads. im good at making variations, just not sequencing em right. so thats my next task on this thing. and the effects are too much to handle but really good. SO FUCKIN MANY.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:42 pm 

oh yeah, if you dont have the manual i definitly would suggest you grab it. it has a layout of all the effects and what they do and a bunch of other info on the machine that is definitly worthwhile if you dont mine an almost 200 page manual for a machine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:58 am 

springwater wrote:
. im trying to figure it out tho because it doesnt have quantize which is useful sometimes.

You can set the quantize in the rec. settings when You record in realtime event mode,if You didnt know.Cant change it after You record obviously though.Also step rec. works great for pasting one sample after another(pg.75 in manual).Hope it helps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:19 am 

quantizing leave a clip sound and so does step recording, maybe its just my machine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:07 am 

springwater wrote:
quantizing leave a clip sound and so does step recording, maybe its just my machine.

Yeah it does that.Theres a workaround built in,You can turn on fade sw. in song-params that ramps the volume at the ends of the sample when it plays it,that helps that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm 

could you explain this a little further, fade sw. in song parameters, im at work so im not in front of my machine but i dont remember anything about fade in the song parameters. il check, but for saftey sake could you give me a full explanation of this tip.
oh yeah, another thing. when you use quantize and you record drum tracks, with all the hits you have to make to make a patters, the zip drive cant read all that fast so it stutters when you play back. but! when its unquantized it records like a whole audio track which you can see the difference in the playlist window whereas the quantizing leaves little bits of each hit you make instead of the unquantized one long piece. i also noticed this too as a downside to quantizing.
have you experienced this too?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:21 pm 

springwater wrote:
could you explain this a little further, fade sw. in song parameters, im at work so im not in front of my machine but i dont remember anything about fade in the song parameters. il check, but for saftey sake could you give me a full explanation of this tip.
oh yeah, another thing. when you use quantize and you record drum tracks, with all the hits you have to make to make a patters, the zip drive cant read all that fast so it stutters when you play back. but! when its unquantized it records like a whole audio track which you can see the difference in the playlist window whereas the quantizing leaves little bits of each hit you make instead of the unquantized one long piece. i also noticed this too as a downside to quantizing.
have you experienced this too?

Yeah it does that too.I usually try to make regular audio loops/recordings of anything that has a lot of quick/short samples.The quantize record really works well with longer samples/phrases.The fade option is in song params,called Fade Sw.(page 100 in the manual),I dont have my sp running right now,but I should later today.I'll double check where the option is.Another handy thing(although confusing sometimes)is the track voice reserve,although it doesnt have any effect on the disk busy errors,it does make playback start quicker(under song name,track voice reserve).

Last edited by fninja on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:34 pm 

Also,You can try the 'New phrase"(page 72,77 in the manual) mode/option when You record in step mode(from the rec options)to have it take all the pad presses and record them as a phrase instead of individual pieces.Man roland are some kludgy haxx0rs lmao!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:03 pm 

nice, thanks alot, im gonna get into that in a few minutes, just got home anxious to fuck with that fade sw shit, hopefully its like a mpc with the attack and release dealy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:20 pm 

Yeah those clicks/pops are the waveform of the sample stopping at a non zero (silent)point due to the buffer having to be emptied then filled with the next playback from the disk(ram works roland,please dont kill my zip dis..well shee lol).The fade fades it out to zero quickly before/after that to prevent the clicks.Im actually expecting to test out another alternative to the zip drive today-an old syquest ez135 drive-,it uses a solid platter like a regular hard drive,but its removable media like the zip.may prove more reliable,and its definitely faster.See how it goes.

Last edited by fninja on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:31 pm 

I had one too as the original owner, I upgraded the 100MB zip to the 250, and the OS to the EX version, and I never had a problem with it. It is LOADED with features. But yes, some people reported that the click of death, where the zip drive just went to see Jesus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:34 pm 

two different clicks lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 am 

thanks fninja, nice to know theres some 8080 heads still alive, this machine is a beast to say the least. never understand why rolands oldest machines are cool as shit, like the boss dr002( i think thats what its called) the drum machine, old as fuck but hot as shit.
thanks for opening my eyes to quantizing, tho my drive cant run the drums that well but i could use it for simple one shots n shit. but the step record is the shit. i was just working on learning to resample my patterns and get a workflow doing that. but i never tried the step record which is perfect for that. get like 5 patterns then switch the step record to SAMPLE and let it ride, after it makes a phrase (with my test loop) i can chop something out and add variations n shit if i choose to do something else thats not a pattern. now im on fire. just formatted my disk to get rid of the shitty quality drums and samples i got over the weekend and im ready to rock.
thanks alot.