It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sp-808 transformed into Edirol A6
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:08 am 

Could someone who has done this make a post with clear step by step instructions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:46 pm 

Could someone please mail me the midi for the edirol a6 and the standard sp808 and sp808ex so I can go forward and back again ?
Please ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:01 pm 

I converted an 808ex to an A6 years ago, but decided to go back to a 808ex with a 750mb disc drive, it seemed a better option, just one thing i havn't seen written here is that you can store the o/s on an otherwise empty zip disc, so rather than transmitting the sysex midi message, just put the zip disk in with which ever o/s you want and away you go, i can't remember what the the screen displayed when up/down grading but it does work and is more efficient

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:35 am 

could you be more precise about the way u put the os in the zip and the way it goes in the Sp please

anyway on my intel mac with cross over I Didn't Succeed in upgrade even EX
ill try on a pc soon

and so; why this comming back to a 808ex with a 750mb
did you plug a hard drive?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:04 pm 

atmasingh wrote:
So hi all, here a little message from a sp-808 die-hard. I am searching for like a year for a replacement of the zip like most in this forum and found no solution till now... After screening the whole www for a amtron cf reader and replacements i had no luck. Ordered a Addonics ide-cf converter, installed, tried diff flash cards and no luck. Then i took it out and installed the os from edirol A6, which failed the first time (without problems by the way) cause it got stuck on 23% at sending the midi files, rebooted, resend the midi's and this time it went well. rebooted and now it says Edirol A6, Video Canvas 1.0.10, then i went to the next step, installing the harddisc. I opened it up, screwed in a maxtor 6.4 gb hd, had to replace the 40 pin cable by a longer one cause i put the back in the front or else i couldnt attach the power supply. First time he didnt see the hd, so i googled to see what kind of hd the a6 uses. It appeared to be a 2.1 gb. Then i created a exact 2.1 partion with paragon on the pc and reinstalled it, this time with succes. I rebooted and he asked to format, i did a full format and took about an hour. During this time i was scared it wouldnt work cause it took so long but ....When the format was done, i wanted to test of course so i pushed "sample" and it showed only 7 sec of sampling time!!! I freaked out cause i thought, mission failed (cause also of the long formating time). In panic i started to go through the system options to see if i over-looked something and yessss...i found it! one of the last options was, "select partition", i entered it and saw there where 4 partitions! I choose 1 after the other and the first 3 showed 9 hrs of sampling time!!! only the last was very short of course cause the first 3 were all 2.1 gb (with a 6.4 gb hd that made sense cause 1 part he keeps for ram i think). So the only thing apart from updating the OS to A6 and create 1 partition of 2.1 gb, was adapting a power supply from an old pc to feed the hd cause it runs on 12v. After 1 min of googling i found that that was easy cause you only connect the green entry with 1 black entry from the mother board cable and voila! power supply that runs without pc! So now its all fine...except that i lost a few functions like the onboard synth and the bpm functions but i dont care about those cause i use the synths from vsti which i sample and the bpm is also no prob cause i know the bpm from fruityloops and the lenght of the loop as well so i trim it to that lenght and done....only thing is that i dont know how to put it back to OS from sp-808ex cause he doent seem to receive the midi files now but i am figuring that still out, anyway, i got a sp-808 with 27 hrs of sampling/project time hihi..good luck to all...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 pm 

atmasingh wrote:
A6_kit.rar [2.45 MiB]

impossible to download
you could upload it again?
thank you very much

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:23 am 

tve wrote:
atmasingh wrote:
A6_kit.rar [2.45 MiB]

impossible to download
thank you very much

same., can't download it. if anyone has a copy please upload it here or at rapidshare or any other way. really need the a6... thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:51 am 

coolguy wrote:
tve wrote:
atmasingh wrote:
A6_kit.rar [2.45 MiB]

impossible to download
thank you very much

same., can't download it. if anyone has a copy please upload it here or at rapidshare or any other way. really need the a6... thanks.

nobody has a kit to convert my sp808 to A6??
can you send me?

thanks

[email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:56 am 

tve wrote:

can you send me?

thanks

[email protected]

Make an account on:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SP-808USERS/
and look for a6.exe in the files section.run that t extract it,and play the .mid files in order with the smf player to Your sp-808(read the readme for instructions.roughly hold down track A status and effects buttons while turning on the sp-808,and then send it).As for the hard disc,get the smallest capacity(larger may work,but i dont know,I used a 40g,80g may work as well)2.5" ide notebook drive to replace the zip drive,and make sure You jumper it to master only(not master/slave or anything else).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am 

fninja wrote:
tve wrote:

can you send me?

thanks

[email protected]

Make an account on:
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SP-808USERS/
and look for a6.exe in the files section.run that t extract it,and play the .mid files in order with the smf player to Your sp-808(read the readme for instructions.roughly hold down track A status and effects buttons while turning on the sp-808,and then send it).As for the hard disc,get the smallest capacity(larger may work,but i dont know,I used a 40g,80g may work as well)2.5" ide notebook drive to replace the zip drive,and make sure You jumper it to master only(not master/slave or anything else).

excuse me.
I am Spanish
I'm going crazy. I find nothing. could provide me the files?
thanks a million

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:14 am 

Check your email.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:38 pm 

fninja wrote:
Check your email.

thank you very much.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:19 pm 

No probs.Hope it works out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:37 am 

Hi, I don't have my SP-808 yet (I will soon), but may I ask a question?

Do I need a Zip reader for my PC to do all this? (add HDD on to the SP-808)

If I do I need to find one (I think there was one at school, it might be broken though), and if not, that'd be awesome..

because it's going to be a monster machine with a hard drive 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm 

To transform it to a-6(for it to be able to use a hard drive)You only need a pc midi interface to connect to the sp.You might want to look at this and the other threads on the limits/changes imposed by switching to the a-6 os.You lose a good few functions of the sp,and I'd say only if Your fed up with zips entirely and dont want to try to find a working cf/flash reader(which is pretty hard),that its a good idea to do so.Mainly You lose the sequencing(recording pad presses instead of recording audio only),and bpm/midi style timing(instead You use time code,i.e. hours/minutes/seconds/frames,as opposed to measures/beats/ticks),and the a6 is a bit sloppier with pad timing,i.e. trigger the pads with say a drum machine,and the timing isnt perfectly consistent.So in a nutshell it becomes like the VS recorders,more than a groove sampler.For me that was fine as I decided to use a yamaha su700 for sampling as it is designed better for that imo,and use this for recording multi-track with effects(roland does get effects right!)Too bad those iisdmc drives disappeared or I would stick with sp mode.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next