It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 am

Post subject: advantages of the 808
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:09 am 

well, i complain often about gear, so for once i thought i would praise something. i got my 808 a while ago and i was initially let down. then i realized i was asking to much from this machine. now i use it for its strengths. for me they are;

1. GREAT sound quality
2. pc sample exchange (you need a zip drive for your computer)
-this is easy and quick, plus you can name them with the program.
3. best effects of any sp (imho)
4. sequence externally and record to one of four (really three tracks)
-this helps for creating loops
5. really cheap these days.

i recently midi'd my kontrolpad to my dr-202 to my 808. now i have a 606 hybrid (ok so i don't have autochop). the memory is low but imagine 64 banks (that can be named) full of beats (that can be mangled) all controlled by an external midi pad. now stick a looper in the mix. this could be all one needs. the total number of sample spots is over 1000, though only 16 at one time.

so now i'm in love again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:32 pm 

Indeed Mr. JBL, the 808 is fantastic. Very cheap these days, and you get most of what the 404 offers, the 4 track, the D beam and alot more. But the zip drive i still have qualms with. But, nonetheless, lovely effects.
I love loading in some random italian jazz hits and bashing about creating my own melodies and now I have an s900 i sample into that then send the samples to the 808 and bash in some crunchy 12 bit bass smashing drums. Lovely! and its a bonus with midi controllers, they are worth getting just for the ease of sampling and effects, then sending it to your audio interface and recording it all into something like acid pro.
Question, what kind of stuff do you produce with it JBL? and what techniques do you like to use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:24 am 

well, i can't claim a genre. and i really don't have any great tips but one thing i've noticed is when using deep bass hits you should avoid the drum setting as it tends to clip.

Post subject: Re: advantages of the 808
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:22 am 

I want to upgrade from my 303. Really debating getting one of these or not. Too bad you can only record up to three or so tracks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:49 am 

Three tracks are just enough and you can bounce the tracks which is pretty sweet if you add a little compression and bounce. You get fill that 4th track by just turning off one of the 3 tracks. Set back is that you wont here that one track but if you have 3 tracks recorded you probably have some sort of groove going that you can follow with your next track then after you record it, turn em all on. You stuck from there tho. Can only bounce to a pad after that. Which is another great feature. Get a loop going in the 4 track then bounce it to a pad. Add more-repeat.
Great machine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:28 am 

adrianT wrote:
I want to upgrade from my 303. Really debating getting one of these or not. Too bad you can only record up to three or so tracks.

no need to upgrade, use your 303 along with the 808, dope combo right there...