It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 pm

Post subject: effects patch? step synth?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:22 pm 

can anybody explain the effects patch to me? at first i thougt it was able to "patch" like a synth but now i think it just plays one effect after another.

one more question about the step synth; can i patch one after another creating a 32, 48, 64 etc... stepped groove? if so this would give a nice build-up. along the same lines, i read that i could run the step synth through effects creating a different sound. this job too is an enigma to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:06 pm 

the SP-808 is an "enigma" itself, lol... with the step synth i was only able to successfully sync it once with a drum loop, not the answer that you were lookin for??? any hows good luck with that, luckily i was able to get $400 out of the SP-808 off of ebay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:40 am 

WOW! i would love to get $400 for my 808, sh&% $200 would be oK. but they don't sell so well over here, that's why i got one so cheap in the first place. anyway i'm trying to make the best of it, i was hoping i could use it as 4track, however this is also crap on the 808.

the effects sound good and so does the step-synth so i want to atleast master these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:58 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

You could try to trade it for an SP-606 or a real 4-track? :)

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:57 pm 

[quote="jbl"]

the effects sound good and so does the step-synth so i want to atleast master these.[/quote]

i agree the effects are real dope though, the step synth is mad nice, and the editing is good... imo, the sound of the 808 is thick and warm... i think that the 808 would compliment the SP-3 & 4, process the samples in the 808, (the time stretch is decent) then sequence in the 3 or 4 then from the 3 & 4, track it out to the 808, put vocals or scratches on tracks 2,3,4...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:58 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
You could try to trade it for an SP-606 or a real 4-track? :)

is anyone interested? lol

BUT if i can't get something worth my time or at least the money i put into it; i'll be trying to do what you suggested blast!. That's why i've been asking so much about the 808 lately. i'm actually going to get a 505 in a few days due to the inadequacies(sp?) of the 4track on the 808.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:22 am 

jbl wrote:
i'm actually going to get a 505 in a few days due to the inadequacies(sp?) of the 4track on the 808.

What in particuar is so bad about the 808's 4 track? I been looking at multitrack recorders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:10 am 

honestly it's just not very user friendly. i can use it but it's not making the task of recording very fun. the track screen is hard to read/understand. i've spent several hours trying to record a couple of patterns back to back (just by cutting and pasting) which i did but it came out all wrong. and this is after i've read the manual a few times.

i bet this would be an easier machine to use if ALL my loops(and loops only) were prefabricated on the pc, imported to the 808, and then i could make a song; but what's the point if i'm on the pc already, i might as well do it all there instead of increasing my workload by exporting again and then going back to a screen that's hard to use. i'll just say that the sp series has grown and grown since their try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:17 pm 

haha, yeah the "cut and paste" to tracks i never understood, i never got it down... the nice thing about the 4 track is the 3 band eq for each track and that the frequency can be adjusted... lol, and the manual was not translated very well.... but i can't front, the effects are good, except for the pitch shift... the lo-fi effect is real good...i guess it's good as an effect box if anything...