It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 pm

Post subject: some questions for 808 users..
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:10 pm 

i'm thinking about getting either a 606,808,or mpc 1000 in a few months,just trying to find out as much info as possible.from what i know so far,i think i'm leaning towards the 808.first the sequencer-does it work the same as the 404's,303's,in that you have to copy patterns and link them together?i know it has a multi track on it,so how do you incorporate that with the sequencer?also,whats the polyphony on it?and the mp doesnt have the mastering/multi-track cappabitlities of either the 808 or 606 right?lastly if you had to choose between the 3 which would it be?personally i'd be mad excited to be able to master/track my beats without any external equipment/computer shit at all,that would be dope.i'd really appreciate some answers/advice..thanks a lot

oh yea-the timestretch-is it flawless,or is there distortion if you stretch something more than a few beats per minute-and if you make a scale of one note-its an actual timestretch and not just a pitch shift,correct?

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/adruthemisphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:38 am 

dru, i'm messin with the 808 now, but try gettin at AUTOCHOPP, he's the only cat that i've seen so far flip the 808 nicely... the sequencer is a 4 track sequencer, like the VS recorders, yes you can copy patterns without doin the flying lotus trick, basically cut & paste style, the polyphony is low, 4 voices, but that's taken care of by resampling & bouncing tracks which still sounds good... there's a 3 band eq for each track...it's an all in one studio in a box... it's pretty deep machine & i'm still trying to learn it... the manual sucks cause it was not translated well... the fx's are Nice, 99fx's... the time stretch, well i don't kmow how to explain it, but remember battle # i forgot the number but i looped up the breakbeat & layed the sample over it. that sample i time stretched. you can check it to hear how it sounds... the only cons i see is probably that it runs off of a zip drive... i'd say it compliments nicely to a 303, 404... it's a good combo... there's some user reviews, check loopers delight, it's posted here somewhere... peace- blast1

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:26 am 

thanks blast,i really appreciate such a thorough response..i've never heard of loopers delight,gotta check that out..it sounds like a dope machine,i gotta decide if it or the 606 would be better

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/adruthemisphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:51 am 

i'm in the same boat with blast1. i got the 808 and i felt like it would be the bee's knees but i just can't seem to get it crackin the way i want it to. i would guess the majority of stuff you can do on the 808, you can do on the 606. i won't bother sellin' my 808 as i got it so cheap but i don't know how much i want to drudge through that horrible manual cuz this machine seems to have many hidden workarounds that i just haven't found yet.
another plus of the 606 (besides velocity sensitive pads) is the massive support for it here. the 808 seems to have too many of us scratching our heads. when and if i get mine figured out i'll post a vid or something.

right now i am too busy with my new dr-202(ok ok it's used); the dr-202 is hella fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:15 am 

but i gotta say that the SP-808 sounds nice & can bump... 20bit converters, recording & sampling has an option, 44.1khz down to 32khz... 8) i also like the fact that you can resample from the audio tracks to a pad... it can do one shots, there's a work around for this, you have to bpm tune it from 100% to 50% so that the zip drive can catch up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 am 

blast1 wrote:
i also like the fact that you can resample from the audio tracks to a pad...

dope
that's a much needed feature on the other SPs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:00 am 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Only cons I see is it's limited sample time, the zip drive and the 4 voices.

That said, that Autochopp dude really knows how to make bangers on it still...