It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

Post subject: General questions.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:06 am 

Yo. Just wondering a few things.

1 - Can you hear sound from either the AUX or LINE input while you're playing pads? Is there some way to mix in a live external source?

2 - I heard there is some way to press a button to mark the start and end points of samples, instead of using the dial and screen. How is that done? Divide function, some one shot mode or something else?

3 - Is there any disadvantage to upgrading the software to the EX version?

4 - Is there a way to use the sliders to control the volume of the pads, live?

5 - Say I want to record a 4 bar loop, and then chop it into 4 one bar loops. This relates to question 2 - what would be the easiest and quickest way to chop the loops up?

6 - Any suggestions for a cheap, small but effective MIDI keyboard for the virtual synth?

7 - Can mute groups be triggered or turned on or off live? Is there a way to mute a sample live and then unmute it, etc.?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

www.myspace.com/uncutraw42

www.myspace.com/thecityslick

BUMP THAT RAW SHIT!!

Post subject: Re: General questions.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:41 am 

FLUENT wrote:

1 - Can you hear sound from either the AUX or LINE input while you're playing pads? Is there some way to mix in a live external source?

2 - I heard there is some way to press a button to mark the start and end points of samples, instead of using the dial and screen. How is that done? Divide function, some one shot mode or something else?

5 - Say I want to record a 4 bar loop, and then chop it into 4 one bar loops. This relates to question 2 - what would be the easiest and quickest way to chop the loops up?

6 - Any suggestions for a cheap, small but effective MIDI keyboard for the virtual synth?

7 - Can mute groups be triggered or turned on or off live? Is there a way to mute a sample live and then unmute it, etc.?

Hey Fluent!
We meet each other here also :wink:
Some answers:
1. Yes, you can hear sound through LINE and AUX while playing pads. Check this video where I use a Stanton connected direct to the aux and playing a pad to beat match it. https://youtu.be/mxelu5nHczg
2. There’s a divide function for chopping samples. I found it! Page 57/58 of the manual. You can chop using the Enter/yes button with that function to decide for yourself where you want to have the chops.
3. No, only advantages as you can use the effects and synth without using a Zip disk + more effects + possibility to install 250MB drive = 1 hour sample time. Check this vid with the advantages.https://youtu.be/SSt42RzDPA8
4. No, the sliders are for the tracks. There’s 1 slider for all the pads. And the main volume, of course.
5. See 2.
6. Any cheap midi keyboard will work. Depends the range of octaves you want.
7. That I have to figure it out.

We keep in touch!

Grtzzz,
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:50 am 

RogerMooze wrote:
FLUENT wrote:

Hey Fluent!
We meet each other here also :wink:
Some answers:
1. Yes, you can hear sound through LINE and AUX while playing pads. Check this video where I use a Stanton connected direct to the aux and playing a pad to beat match it. https://youtu.be/mxelu5nHczg
2. There’s a divide function for chopping samples. I found it! Page 57/58 of the manual. You can chop using the Enter/yes button with that function to decide for yourself where you want to have the chops.
3. No, only advantages as you can use the effects and synth without using a Zip disk + more effects + possibility to install 250MB drive = 1 hour sample time. Check this vid with the advantages.https://youtu.be/SSt42RzDPA8
4. No, the sliders are for the tracks. There’s 1 slider for all the pads. And the main volume, of course.
5. See 2.
6. Any cheap midi keyboard will work. Depends the range of octaves you want.
7. That I have to figure it out.

We keep in touch!

Grtzzz,
Roger

You da best Roger. Thanks.

For 6 - The thing is, I don't really know about MIDI keyboards at all. Looking for maybe a 25 key, basic keyboard that won't take up a lot of space and that can be powered directly by the 808 or by batteries, etc.. So maybe someone can chime in on some suggestions for that.

For 7 - Maybe it's possible with sequenced tracks...I'm thinking that the step sequencer could be really handy here too, for basic sequencing of a bunch of loops, possibly mutes, etc..

You have any suggestions for a first-time owner? Do I need to buy more zip disks or whatever? When I get it I'm going to upgrade the OS according to your video tutorial too.

Your videos rock dude, I really appreciate them. I'm sure we'll keep in touch, expect a bunch of questions around Thursday of next week. :D

Peace,
Flu

BUMP THAT RAW SHIT!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:13 am 

6. Every MIDI keyboard with a MIDI-in will work. So search 2nd hand and you’ll find them cheap. DON’T do battery powered. Play safe and secure.
7. Of course you can do it like that. The track sequencer can give you this option. Those 4 tracks can be muted with the buttons above the sliders and you can use the sliders also for more precise playing with volume. I assumed you meant the pads....sorry for misunderstanding you.

And thanks for your compliments. I will keep on grabbing vids after these Bank Holidays. All kids at home = being busy with them.
And yes! I’m prepared to receive those questions :wink:

Ah...more Zip disks? Starts with 5. When you get short always can buy extra.
I’ve bought 50 disks for 30€. When you see offers like that, grab them.

Tips for first owner? Start with small steps. Get comfortable with the machine. Chop a sample and create your flow.
There are numerous parameters and try to stay away in the first place. It can be too much. Be like a kid, curious.
Man, this machine is soooo amazing.
And yes, do the upgrade. It brings only advantages.
If you don’t change the drive to 250MB be alert to format only Quick mode!

Have a good day!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:23 am 

RogerMooze wrote:
6. Every MIDI keyboard with a MIDI-in will work. So search 2nd hand and you’ll find them cheap. DON’T do battery powered. Play safe and secure.
7. Of course you can do it like that. The track sequencer can give you this option. Those 4 tracks can be muted with the buttons above the sliders and you can use the sliders also for more precise playing with volume. I assumed you meant the pads....sorry for misunderstanding you.

And thanks for your compliments. I will keep on grabbing vids after these Bank Holidays. All kids at home = being busy with them.
And yes! I’m prepared to receive those questions :wink:

Ah...more Zip disks? Starts with 5. When you get short always can buy extra.
I’ve bought 50 disks for 30€. When you see offers like that, grab them.

Tips for first owner? Start with small steps. Get comfortable with the machine. Chop a sample and create your flow.
There are numerous parameters and try to stay away in the first place. It can be too much. Be like a kid, curious.
Man, this machine is soooo amazing.
And yes, do the upgrade. It brings only advantages.
If you don’t change the drive to 250MB be alert to format only Quick mode!

Have a good day!

Peace man. Just to follow up on a few things.

6 - Can the virtual synthesizer parameters be controlled via a MIDI keyboard with knobs + sliders?

7 - You didn't misunderstand, I did mean the pads. I was just wondering if there was a way to mute and unmute pads without sequencing or turning the pad itself off. Thanks for the info.

And only format the 100mb drive with a Quick Format? Why is that? I also don't save samples or files, so do I even need multiple disks other than the one to make the machine work?

BUMP THAT RAW SHIT!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 am 

At this moment I still didn’t find a way to control the parameters of the synth by MIDI. I’m reading page 176 to get knowledge of the Sysex to create a template with CC’s but so far no luck.

Sampling live? Remember that the sample mode disable all running functions.
I mean, if you’re playing a sequence and you want to sample an incoming beat, the sequence will stop.
But if you have other equipment running than sampling live can be done. Beat matching live etc.

The 100 MB quick format is because the Ex OS is for a 250MB drive. If you don’t change the drive, better do quick format. This has to be done only te first time when you start using that disk.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:30 pm 

RogerMooze wrote:
At this moment I still didn’t find a way to control the parameters of the synth by MIDI. I’m reading page 176 to get knowledge of the Sysex to create a template with CC’s but so far no luck.

Sampling live? Remember that the sample mode disable all running functions.
I mean, if you’re playing a sequence and you want to sample an incoming beat, the sequence will stop.
But if you have other equipment running than sampling live can be done. Beat matching live etc.

The 100 MB quick format is because the Ex OS is for a 250MB drive. If you don’t change the drive, better do quick format. This has to be done only te first time when you start using that disk.

Great info, thanks again. This week can't go by fast enough.

BUMP THAT RAW SHIT!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:10 am 

Another general question -

Any way to "lock" the changes you make with effects when using the d-beam so they don't automatically go back to 0 when you're not waving your hand on it?

BUMP THAT RAW SHIT!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:38 am 

And another one.

Where are the samples that aren't currently on the pads stored? Say I sample from vinyl, chop it up and resample with FX, but I want to use the original sample again even though I overwrote it with the resampled sounds. Is it gone forever, forever ever? Or is there a way to retrieve it? Thinking I can retrieve it since the sampling time is still affected but can't seem to find out how...

BUMP THAT RAW SHIT!!