It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 am

Post subject: SP808 Blank Screen (How to fix?)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:50 pm 

Has anyone encountered this problem with the SP808? My SP808 has been stopped working like 2 years ago.

It turned on but would show (INSERT DISK) and realised it needs an OS update, I didnt have the time to get the USB-TO-MIDI cable to use to send midi files. Now I have ordered the cable, while waiting for the cable to arrive I turned on my SP only to realise it does no longer show me the (Insert Disk) on its tiny screen no more.

If you know what might be the issue please share your advise.
Peace!!

Post subject: Re: SP808 Blank Screen (How to fix?)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:51 pm 

It was saying "insert disc" even after you put a disc in? I think I'd start by swapping out the zip drive.

I wonder if the OS update can be run from another musical device, instead of a computer... maybe you could try using an MPC for the update if you have one, or know someone who does. Then you would only need a midi cable. Regardless... I'm not sure an OS update will fix your problem. If your machine worked at one time, the OS shouldn't randomly stop working (based on my knowledge of the machine). Sounds more like a drive error to me.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:44 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
I have an SP- 808 that I'd like to restore at some point but wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

When it's powered up it just displays weird squiggly shit on the screen and everything on the sampler which has a back light, lights up on the machine.

Obviously. that's not supposed to happen... :(

Every so often I'll walk past it and switch it on..look wistfully at the display and try to use the power of mindrays to make it start working again....

((((((((((())))))))))))))))()))))))()))))))))())))))))

When this ultimately fails I turn it back off, try not to think about how much that fucker cost me to buy back in the day and wipe away the salty tears in my eyes...

Anyone need spare parts? , hehe..

PS.
Hello.,Ghost Bazz!

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:07 pm 

ghost bazz wrote:
It was saying "insert disc" even after you put a disc in? I think I'd start by swapping out the zip drive.

It still turns on and but does not show any digit or word anymore. I am planning on sending it to a dj friend who's got the same SP so he can swap drives and tell me whats up.

At first I thought it needed an OS update. Now that its just lights green with nothing displayed it worries me.

Thanks for responding to this. Its so frustrating. In the meantime I use thw Ensoniq EPS I just want to revive this Sp808 cos it used to work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:16 pm 

Danswift wrote:
I have an SP- 808 that I'd like to restore at some point but wouldn't have a clue where to begin.

When it's powered up it just displays weird squiggly shit on the screen and everything on the sampler which has a back light, lights up on the machine.

My SP808 has same issues. Not sure if it is because it has not been used for so long. Why is it giving up now?

Im now praying it says I sert disk again. It does reads the disk cis I hear the machine making noise when I turn it on. But nothing on display.

Please check and try these on your SP: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/wicket/tipsandtricks.htm

No luck this side.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 pm 

quan wrote:

My SP808 has same issues.

Please check and try these on your SP: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/wicket/tipsandtricks.htm

No luck this side.

Thanks dude, will check that out .. Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 pm 

Let me know how it goes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:09 pm 

Danswift wrote:

Obviously. that's not supposed to happen... :(

Every so often I'll walk past it and switch it on..look wistfully at the display and try to use the power of mindrays to make it start working again....

((((((((((())))))))))))))))()))))))()))))))))())))))))

When this ultimately fails I turn it back off, try not to think about how much that fucker cost me to buy back in the day and wipe away the salty tears in my eyes...

Anyone need spare parts? , hehe..

PS.
Hello.,Ghost Bazz!

Waddup homie! I'm back from hiatus man... trolling the forums from work & trying to find the time and inspiration to get back into some musical ventures!

Part of me getting back into the world of music has been discovering your album. I've been bumping it at work all week. I remember chatting with you about the logistics of you getting it wrapped up and released a while back. It's a great mix man... real good energy and vibe throughout. I've got some specific questions for you, but I'll save those for another query. 8)

Your use of drum breaks is dope man. Tying this in to an 808 conversation... I really love that machine for working with breaks. It's time-stretching/pitch function is awesome for matching them up, and the "sequencer" also works great for that application.

Well done man. Great offering.

SOUNDCLOUD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:35 pm 

quan wrote:
Let me know how it goes

Wow... It cleared everything that was back lit on the sampler and booted up the Roland SP-808 and groove sampler Ver 1.0. screen graphics !

The 808 now looks like it's supposed to , which I'm presuming is a good sign.. :D

I don't have a working zip drive at present, so I can't take the next stage of this any further unfortunately ... I'll need to try and grab one from somewhere but so far I'm a lot more optimistic about getting this thing up and working again!

Thanks so much for the help, Quan!

@Ghost Bazz... PM sent!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:17 am 

Danswift wrote:
quan wrote:
Let me know how it goes

Wow... It cleared everything that was back lit on the sampler and booted up the Roland SP-808 and groove sampler Ver 1.0. screen graphics !

The 808 now looks like it's supposed to , which I'm presuming is a good sign.. :D

Thanks so much for the help, Quan!

I am glad your machine was fixed. Once you get the floppy try again and please let us know if it works. My screen is still showing nothing. Its just lit green... used to show the groovesampler like yours. Not anymore... not sure if I need ro change the floppy drive or the floppy disk.

Before all this I know it needed an OS update. I just threw it (sp808) in a box put it safe.. now I can't figure out whats the deal. Ill show u the photos soonest so someone can help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:16 am 

Danswift wrote:
quan wrote:
Let me know how it goes

Thanks for sharing pictures, this is how mine is. Just blank with nothing. Not sure if I need to change the ZIP DRIVE or try the CF card route.

Attachments:
File comment: This is my screen, what must I do? Someone please help.
IMG_20190621_074733.jpg
IMG_20190621_074733.jpg [ 3.69 MiB | Viewed 13635 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:42 pm 

Danswift wrote:
quan wrote:

Has anyone experienced this?