It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:19 am

Post subject: Using 808 as an external effect for DAW
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:44 pm 

Hey all, I just copped an 808 off ebay and am basically hoping to use it as an external effects box for ableton. I read that you're supposed to be able to do this, but can't quiiite figure out how to hook it up. I have an RCA cable running from the monitor OUT on my mbox2 interface into the AUX IN on the SP808, and then the master OUT on the SP is running into the DI on the mbox.

On the SP808 in mix common I have FxLoc. set to INS MASTER and the IN set to THRU(->LINE)

With this setup I assume that I can run audio into the SP808 from my computer into the AUX input, it will apply effects and then bounce it back out through the master and back into my interface. Problem is I'm not getting any input from the computer. I tested to make sure the output on the SP is working with the demo track, and it seems like that's fine. It's just not picking up any signal on the input. What am I doing wrong? I was thinking I may need to get some sort of DI box to power the MON OUT from my interface running into the SP808, but I wanted to post here and make sure I wasn't maybe just messing up some settings before I go and drop money on a DI box.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Using 808 as an external effect for DAW
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:45 am 

I've dealt with this when using it as an fx module for my guitar. What I do is I just insert a zip disc... Otherwise it won't play incoming audio.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:10 am 

r4ph431 wrote:
I've dealt with this when using it as an fx module for my guitar. What I do is I just insert a zip disc... Otherwise it won't play incoming audio.

Hm, that didn't seem to change it. I also have the EX, which I hear is supposed to be able to be used for effects without a zip disk inserted.

Thanks for replying though dude, the help is much appreciated. Do you have to power your guitar before running it into the 808?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:15 pm 

yahtzen wrote:
r4ph431 wrote:

Hm, that didn't seem to change it. I also have the EX, which I hear is supposed to be able to be used for effects without a zip disk inserted.

Thanks for replying though dude, the help is much appreciated. Do you have to power your guitar before running it into the 808?

Hmmmm... That's odd I don't have the EX so maybe that's why its different.

I do not have to power the guitar btw.

maybe this link can help: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... cts-sp808/

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 pm 

r4ph431 wrote:
yahtzen wrote:
r4ph431 wrote:

Hmmmm... That's odd I don't have the EX so maybe that's why its different.

I do not have to power the guitar btw.

maybe this link can help: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... cts-sp808/

Oh okay. Well, knowing that the input itself doesn't need to be powered helps narrow down the issue. And I CAN get output coming out of the device (playing the demo tracks), so it's just something to do with the input I'm giving to it. My interface also has an S/PDIF output, and I have an old DAC lying around, so when I get home tonight I'm going to try and go from my interfaces S/PDIF OUT > Old DAC > AUX IN on the SP and see how it likes that. All that said, I'm thinking it will create a feedback loop if it does work, and I might have to invest in a mixer.

Anyways, thanks for your help and the link. Much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:11 am 

Ayy, the old DAC worked, but as suspected I'm getting a crazy feedback loop as I only have the one set of outputs on my interface. I'm gonna have to get on the lookout for a cheap mixer so I can get more ins and outs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:49 pm 

Have you tried feeding the signal into the input RCAs rather that the AUX input RCAs, just a thought. I don't have my 808 out in front of me at the moment so cant have a play. I would usually have the FX location in mix common set to input/pre eq rather that master.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:11 pm 

drmnaga78 wrote:
Have you tried feeding the signal into the input RCAs rather that the AUX input RCAs, just a thought. I don't have my 808 out in front of me at the moment so cant have a play. I would usually have the FX location in mix common set to input/pre eq rather that master.

I'll try this and let you know. The manual basically described the AUX inputs as a way to feed input through the effects on the box and bounce that signal straight out, which seemed like what I wanted, but really it was just a shot in the dark. Thanks for the tip