It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:11 am

Post subject: Comp', Limit, EQ?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:49 pm 

Just wondering if anyone here uses any of the above mentioned effects when mixing out/mastering from the 808 to an external recorder/hard drive, if so what is your preferred choice? I have never found any settings I like to apply to the track as a whole.

Post subject: Re: Comp', Limit, EQ?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:50 pm 

I absolutely love the "Total Compression" patch on the 808 and use it most times I fire up the machine. Because of the simplicity of transfering finished tracks to laptop with the SD card I basically always bounce to 404sx, so it's rare that I'll compose whole tracks on the 808, but it has so many advantages in pitch and sample-trim i still use it often...

.. but back to comp: Total Comp has the eq built in (plus is editable back-screen) and I find cranking the output to +12 and rolling back the threshold to 30-50% gives things a nice bump.

Other comps/limiter patches are more subtle and don't get used so often. I guess with so damn many fx patches to choose from we all find a select few we particularly like and stick with the. So it is for me anyway. Enhance can be pretty useful at times when stuff gets too gritty, and the clipping patch does some nice work too.. also a huge fan of the 808's tape-delay as well as (compared to the 404 and 303) the wah, with it's built-in delay is super super nice.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:36 pm 

Thanks I will have a play.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:12 pm 

Update.
Fuck, just worked out why some of the effects like isolator/filter and compression always seemed disappointing. It was because I would use them in send/return, just discovered if i set the fx loc to the actual track, it works as it should, what a difference!!