It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm

Post subject: editing a waveform like mpc
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:24 am 

What's up SP fam. I'm new hear and also new to sp808. Been wanting one ever since my first sampler which was the Dr sample 202. Finally scooped it but now here comes the learning curve. I've been producing on mpc 2000xl for a decade if not more. Gotten pretty used to the workflow and functionality of it. I've tried editing start /end points on samples using the 808 but I don't dig editing w/o the view of the waveform. I've.looked thru the manual and seen pics of a waveform being edited but I've not been able to reach that menu/screen . can anyone here point me in the right direction? Is that even possible to do on the 808? Peace n blessings y'all

Post subject: Re: editing a waveform like mpc
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:01 am 

therealdune wrote:
I've.looked thru the manual and seen pics of a waveform being edited but I've not been able to reach that menu/screen

Pretty sure the waveform pics in the manual are there just to give an idea of what's happening while you're editing with start, end and loop points.

One tip i can think of is you can save some time and effort by sampling only what you actually want in the first place... something I'll often do is load up my sample-source in DAW and highlight the clip I want to sample, setting playback to just the highlighted area. This is particularly effective for catching really short samples, single drum hits, notes etc and having the luxury of a buffer of silence at the tailend** when they go into the 808.

In the sampling-screen on the 808 set start/w to LEV.1 so that the machine starts sampling when play is hit at the sample-source. When the selected clip stops playing the only editing left to do in the 808 is rolling back the end point to trim off any unwanted silence - easy enough to do by ear, or mathematically/w-stretch if you're matching to another sample.

Sampling from non-digital sources, well that comes down to timing; I can see how it would be an advantage mbe to have a visual waveform when editing but I've personally never really missed it --> admittedly, down to the fact that the 808 is the only hardware-sampler ive ever owned ;-)

**I prefer having silence at the end of single hits because I find the live-playing of pads works best in gate-mode. Single hits could be played in drum-mode but then you don't have the option of controlling the plyback duration live, plus I find the zip-drive more responsive w/ pads set to gate. Without the end-silence on single hits or very short samples you of course have a very short loop in gate-mode. Obviously tho', the settings chosen all comes down to the roll the sample plays in the project, which is why you'll need to squint to read this

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:50 pm 

Hi man! Yeah it's possible, when editing the start/end points press the "scrub" button above the master fader, use directions buttons to zoom in/out, wide/narrow. Same thing with tracks edit, press srub and select the track, shift+value dial for more precise editing.
Check this links too, may be useful.
download/file.php?id=2385
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xur7nvFayYg

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:29 pm 

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate the help. Two great ways to get the job done. I'm digging this forum already. Peace guys. I will update ya later today on my progress

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:58 pm 

No kidding otbt.. of course! I'd just never used it I'd totally forgotten i never knw about that.Lol! Choice man, sweet :D

Sweet new avatar you got there btw!

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:35 pm 

Hey man, cool that you had no need in it in your workflow. 8)
Thanks! :wink: