It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:46 pm

Post subject: sp-808
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:59 pm 

Dear All,

I am new to the forum, as I am a proud owner of a newly acquired SP-808. I am just getting to know the stuff but seems awesome.
I have two questions (for now). I'd like some kind of real time quantization, so that different loops would be in sync even if not started at the same time (so let's say, samples would be started on only on 1/4 measures). If I understand the situation, the SP-808 does not provide this feature, but if there is a way, let me know.
My other question is a more subjective one: if what I am looking for is not possible, how do you usually manage in a live situation without this feature? What do you do to make the performance _not_ feel completely out of sync?
Thank You!

Wishes,
Zsolt

Post subject: Re: sp-808
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:22 pm 

I'd get your 808 a companion. Maybe a 303 or a 404 or something which fills in the gaps. Maybe even a 202 or a Sampletrack or something in that ballpark.

Digs From the Yesterday Window EP
out now:
http://gematrium.bandcamp.com/
NOW FREE!
(though donations are very much encouraged and appreciated)

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:30 pm 

Thanks! But sincerely, I'd like to avoid having an another sampler, complicates workflow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:02 am 

A companion it is after all... An MC-505 en route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:57 am 

disagree on another sampler ruining the work flow. Contrary it opens up a whole new world of creativity. What one sampler can't do two definitely can do.

As far as being in sync, depends if ya want to play hitting samples or using a sequencer. The mc505 is a sequencer and a good one with sounds built in and is a perfect companion for the sp808. You could also use a hard disk recorder to run a backing track while you play samples over the top of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:42 pm 

A little s20 might be a nice pal for the sp 808, pick them up for around 60 quid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:37 pm 

i havent messed with the 808 in a long time, but i believe it has a que function. you could use that to get the pattern sized up in the machine before it comes through the speakers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:39 pm 

Yes, the issue is not with the sample length, but with the precise start related to starting other samples live via the pads.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:05 pm 

What you want is a sequencer like the mc505, it will play the patterns in time even if you hit the key out of sync. You could midi the sp808 to an mc505 and use its auto quantizing feature to keep the 808 in line. But on the 808 I think you can do the same thing except you would use the 808's crappy sequencer, not 100% sure. But if you practice enough you can get pretty good to hit things on time, I trained myself and I have terrible rhythm.

Watched a great docu with Chad Smith drummer from Red Hot Chili peppers and he explains a method that he uses to keep his self in time, is he keeps his arms and legs constantly moving with the beat rather he is hitting a drum or not, that way when does need to hit a drum head he is ready and already in motion.

I myself have learned not to try and count but to listen and feel when the time comes to hit a pad, I especially am working on rhythmic pads that are hard to listen for the beat but rather I listen for the feel.

Just takes practice.