It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

Post subject: I would like to listen to some sp 808 tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:44 pm 

I just purchased an 808 online. It should take about a week for it to get shipped to me. It seems as if youtube is quite lacking in sp 808 videos. Does anyone have any recommendations for artists who have used the 808? Do you have any 808 tracks I could check out?

Post subject: Re: I would like to listen to some sp 808 tracks.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:54 pm 

there are a ton of 808 videos, its just that the other gear has too many videos so the 808 looks like the freshman of youtube videos. I have an 808 but I use it for effects now but its pretty straight forward. Dive in and if you have any questions hit me up. But grab the manual too and get busy. Sucks to answer basics questions like "how do i sample" but there will be some shit I can help you out with that the manual overlooked.
Just to get you started, there is no pattern sequencer, thats usually the first question people have. You have a sampler with a 4 track multitrack. Like a 202 and a tacsam tape recorder with millions of effects and editing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:06 pm 

Thanks for the reply man. I have a 303 and a 404sx so I'm sure I can figure out how to use it pretty easily. It will take about a week for it to ship here so i am interested in listening to some beats produced with the sp 808 until it gets here. Does it have a re-sample function?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:03 pm 

resampling, yes. cool thing about it is that you can resample without wasting your pads. Like, you can have a pad with a sample on it, add an effect and resample to that same pad while playing that pad. Whereas on the 404 you have to resample to another pad. The screen will ask you if you wanna overwrite which i thought was cool as fuck. Even with the 64 banks.
You can also record to the mxer/track recorder, then bounce that to pads.
So you can for example, record a sketch with a ton of layers and blah blah, then section parts off by bouncing those parts to pads, trimming em, then you can have 16 pads with your beat all broken down into fills and what not, simply starting the process in the track mixer. kinda like the 404 resample method for a ful beat then using that pad to break down into multiple pads.
your in for a treat sir.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:05 pm 

aaaaaaaand mute groups!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:12 pm 

Im excited for it. Usually when I make beats I just chop a sample and a break, then finger drum a loop. I'm hoping that this is an approach that works well with the sp 808. Most of the stuff that I have seen on youtube is people triggering loops, but their is really no footage that I have found of anyone creating loops. Man, I can't stop thinking about this thing, it's gonna be a long week waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 am 

Well, fyi, finger drumming might not go so well, cause of the zip drive, it might not be able to keep up or you might hear some clipping from finger triggering. Nothing to cry home about, just something you'd notice and be like "fuck it, makes it grimier". But it is a dope machine. And even running shit into it if you format your cards to 32000 instead of the standard 41000, whatever the fuck that is(sample rate i guess), you can hear the audible difference. And the filter is on point, not like that shabby ass filter on the 404, but real -24db cutoff with some sweet resonance. You can tell by how much I have to say that its a dope machine. Might dust it off and shoot some video.