It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

Post subject: time to upgrade from the 808, any suggesstions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:33 pm 

I've been using the 808 for about 3 years now, and well i find it to be a bit bulky to carry around and the zip disk format is just not working for me anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get now? 606? 555?
Any thoughts would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 pm 

What do you like best about the 808, and what do you like least (besides the ZIP disks)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:02 am 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I can't actually compare the SP-808 to my own gear, but I own both the SP-606 and SP-555 and if I had to decide between one or the other, the SP-606 would definitely be my weapon of choice.

It has better pads, more than enough of the obligatory features, a screen, auto-chop, better sequencer and so on. The maximum size of the Compact Flash cards really isn't much of a problem and at the moment second hand prices are pretty good. (My SP-606 was actually half the price I've paid for a new SP-555, so it's a real steal if you can get lucky.)

The SP-555 is great too and although feature-wise it's quite good, it does seem a bit like an upgraded version of the SP-404. Now don't get me wrong, plenty of people here will agree with me that that's not a bad thing, but I do think it's a step back from what you're used to with your SP-808.

If you're on a tight budget, going for the SP-404 or SP-555 wouldn't be a bad thing actually. But you'd be missing out on a lot of SP-808 features for sure I think.

Doesn't the MV-8800 have just about all features the SP-808 has (plus some more)?

Either way, if money isn't an issue, I'd probably forget about both the SP-606 and SP-555 and buy an MV8800 instead. :) Then again, bigger and more complex might not necessarily be the best option, so you might get a lot more than you actually need in that case.

Last but not least, if time isn't an issue, I'd might even consider waiting in your case for Roland to release new gear. Unfortunately it's pretty difficult off course to predict how long you'd have to wait and what we can expect in that case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:15 am 

there's a definite gulf between the 303/404/202 style of things and the SP-606. the 555 seems to a nexus between the two, though slightly more like the former group

i reckon the 606 is the way to go, and will match your current workflow habits better. having said that, a 404 or 555 might challenge you to develop new techniques, etc

another option is the SP-505...check Olby's videos and posts in that part of the forum. you can probably get one of those pretty cheaply second-hand. i really dig this machine from what I have seen of it