Post subject: IISDMC card reader
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:26 am 

808 NATION research IDE card reader
IISDMC compatible model SP-808

:D

http://askelo.free.fr/808nation/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:44 am 

i am thinking to get a 808 but really worried about the zip drive, this could be a godsend. will it work for either black or pink version and if so will i be able to only use 250 mbs because i don't even think yoou can get anything but 256. would 256 work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:50 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

If Roland ever remakes the SP-808 I might be interested in it too. Zip-drive is a definite no-no for me though, those things are terribly slow to load from and small files won't even always work, ow and it makes noise hahaha.

It would be awesome if they get it to work with an IDE harddisk, but I sure hope they are trying out some newer harddisks, because where can I find a 250Mb harddisk nowadays?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:25 am 
303 Award Winner '09

If the sp-808 uses ide connections it wouldn't be too difficult to install a harddrive. But a cf reader is good enough for me.

Post subject: SP-808 Hard-disk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:15 am 

Hi.
I've been tryin to change the ZIP drive of my 808-EX (upgraded from 808) to a hard disk. The main problem i've found was that the internal power is 6v and the hard disks need 12v. Adding a 12v power source was easy. Now the HD is detected and formatted during the boot process but i foud several problems:
- if I shut down and restart, when I try to record a sample or track it shows the message: no disk space.
- If I don't restart it will just hang uppon recording
- I connected the HD to my computer and it shows 3 primary partitions formatted with FAT. 512MB each. Empty...

Well, that's it. I'm still working on it, but it's starting to look like a lost war. Probably the SP needs to work using specific ZIP messages and the HD is not responding. I've managed to record to the HD only once, and I have no idea why it worked. Maybe the HD is too fast. Maybe it's too big.

Anyway i've ordered a CF to IDE from E-bay. Hopefully it will work. I know some guys already tried it without success, but it could be a partition size problem. Maybe using smaller CF Cards.

My main problem is not the size of the zip disks it's the noise coming from the drive and the "Drive Busy" message. I thought that maybe by using a faster drive this last problme would be solved.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:51 pm 

Well, that French site seems to be advertising a solution, but so far they have not responded to my e-mail inquiries...Maybe someone here who speaks French can try contacting them?

SP-808's can be bought for dirt cheap these days, and if there's a new drive solution, it gives the thing a whole new life...

Post subject: CF reader for SP-808
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:22 pm 

Check this out. Maybe it will work.
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Addonics
It's on sale on amazon. I'll try and buy one and then publish the result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:35 am 

Please do. I'm hoping that I can find one of these at, like, a garage sale or thrift store, or something. :D Not likely to happen, but hey, one can dream...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:50 am 

UP !!! news ????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:51 am 

any news??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:46 pm 

greeting everyone! I'm new here, very glad to have found the site. Had my sp808 for years now - 2001 i think. Not been using it so much lately and was thinking to dust it off and get it hooked up as an fx return ( at least! )

how about this card reader - can anybody confirm if it works or point me in the direction of some istructions? is this a viable alternative to buying a 250 mg zip drive

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:06 am 

yes it works .
I have read it on another forum , yahoo or the old sp-808 forum maybe.
It works only with some cards (very usual with flashcards/hardware) and they show up as maximum 512mb , but at least 1gb card works anyway, well I will search further.
I think also that not all flashdrives work, but this is the right one I guess.. Please if someone can find that page , put a link here, cause I did also read that the drives was like sold out or something, I really want one of those . I will go looking for a drive in my city I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:17 am 

hey!

i tried two cf readers and they didnt work either in 808 os 808ex os or A6 os, but at last i have my 808(A6 os updated) running with a 2,5" 80gb 5400rpm Samsung hard disk!!!

Mail me if you have any questions...

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:40 pm 

For a hard drive...

Laptop drives run off 5volt - same as the zip drive. All that's needed is an adapter that's commonly available (e-bay dealer shops usually have them & many computer parts stores do too). The adapter is need to combine the separate power and data cables for the zip connections to the single, more compact ribbon cable that carries both data and power to a laptop drive.

I've had a lot of experience changing drive types on the similar Roland VS840 recorder that was produced at the same time. There are issues which may be the same with the SP808....

The drive must have it's master/slave jumper set to master. Most laptop drives are set to master without a jumper fitted. Card readers usually do need the jumper.

Drive/media size is critical. The VS840 can only use 1GB. If the drive/card is around 4GB it can be used but only 1GB of it. Larger than 4GB won't be recognised at all. Some drives have a method of limiting their size to 2.1GB by fitting a jumper or any size you want if programmed on a computer which does the trick. I see someone has an 80GB drive working with an 808 - can it use all of that?

Using card media - you must shut the machine down before changing the card and only insert one with power off. The Zip drives disc eject command is not supported.

VS840 seemed to require EX software installed for anything other than a zip drive to be recognised.

Some multicard readers would not work - they may have complicated electronics that doesn't behave correctly for the machine. Simple readers for CompactFlash cards usually do work probably because this card type should already have an interface that acts the right kind of drive built into the card.
Some brand CF cards don't support the required drive emulation mode. Sandisk are usually a safe bet and I have some Kingston ones that work well too.

A company called Addonics made a Multi-card reader in the right (zip) sized box that did work with the VS840EX, but this is now discontinued. If it's been re-introduced or somewhere still has some - grab it! The 808 Nation one shown earlier looks remarkably like the Addonics.

Cimple Solutions are selling a CF reader in a drive case for use as a Zip replacement in Akai machines - it looks remarkably like the one I have in my VS840. The place I bought mine from no longer stocks them.
http://www.cimplespares.com/product.php/12058/0

Hope the above helps. Getting rid of the Zip drive makes a night&day difference to the VS-840 - in fact it brings it right up with anything else in it's class that's made now. No drive busy errors - fast and silent operation. Well worth doing. I can only hope it can work equally well for the SP808.

Cheers
Jim

I

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:10 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
250Mb harddisk nowadays?

same place u can find anything u really wanted, ebay