It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:09 am

Post subject: Coupla questions (on teh verge of getting one tomorrow)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:45 pm 

Can you do resample method on these? I basically want to make resample beats like I do on the 404, but go back and lay Microkorg synth stuff on top with the 4 track recorder. Using the compressor over the whole mix (with the ability to preview as you are fixing mix levels, too). Can I do this?

Post subject: Re: Coupla questions (on teh verge of getting one tomorrow)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:05 pm 

Yup. Everything you can do on the 404 is possible. Except for the 1 track sequencer. But the 4 tracks have an eq for each track. You can record 3 tracks in the mixer( not 4 because of the poly) but then you can resample those to pads. Same as on the 404 except you have separate tracks as a sort of storage bin. Let's say you lay some drums on track one, maybe 4 bars. Then track 2 you lay some chops, then track 3 something else. Then you hit the sample button, hit the button to record enable on the tracks till it turns yellow which means "bounce", then set your sampler to record when it hears a sound. Hit sample so it's in wait mode, then hit play, not it's recording your 3 tracks to a pad. Great fucking feature. When I resample loops on the 404 I always get pissed because I have to hit one pad and start playing another and depending on what I'm doing, I mess up a bunch. The 808 allows you to lay down an idea,
Eq it, even bounce the track to other tracks with effects, get it all right in the 3 tracks, then put it on a pad. Yu can do all this without using the mixer as well buy just resampling in the pad banks like on the 404.
So go spend some money and get one!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 pm 

Oh,and one thing that sucks. About the 404 is that you cant resample while listening to anything, not even the ext source. The 808 allows all of that. Can record external stuff to the pads or the track mixer. Yu can get something going in the tracks, then play it while recording from your microkorg onto the pads, then sync it later. Or resample on pads just through the ext source like on the 555 and keep overdubbing. Once you check out the effects you will shit yourself and realize that someone was on drugs when they programmed the 404 filter. The cutoff isn't worth a dam and it gives you a ringing sound. The 808 filter is what a filter should be. If you got the 404 and the 808 your in business. One as a sampler and the other as an arranger.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:28 am 

Success. Ive got it now. Dude sold it to me mad cheap and even threw in extra zip disks. My plan is to do my beats on the 404, load em on a track on the 808, then add synths/etc to the other tracks. Excited about this shit, here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:40 pm 

right on man. My favorite machine is the 808. I enjoy the mpc sequencer so much that i keep resorting to that and its hard for me to get away from it. But the 808 is a great machine for banging out microwave beats and even doing full songs with the copy and paste. As long as everything syncs to your bpm, you will realize how easy it is to copy and paste tracks forever. Or the step recording is perfect as well. You can record the length of the pad and just hit the pad a few times to lay it out. So if your pad has a loop thats 90bpms, you set your tempo to 90 bpms and step record, set it to pad, then just hit the pad as many bars as you need it to be. Let me know how everything works out. I enjoy talking about the 808 and could throw some quick tips your way, anytime. And wait till you hear the analog bass on that thing, need a midi keyboard but its great to even have that in the effects section. Just an added bonus.