It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:38 am

Post subject: I think my 808 is dying help?!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:13 am 

Have read about all the ZIP drive issues but the other night i went to reverse a sample and the disk ejected itself, displayed the usual drive too busy message but then froze, and since then everytime i turn the machine on and insert the disk it just ejects it, i hav to re insert like 4 or 5 times until it accepts it. It also ejects and freezes when i save, when i copy samples and on other occasions. is this the disk itself wearing out or something wrogn with the SP??? helppp!!!

Might be worth noting the drive has been upgraded to 250mb but im using 100mb disks as thats all i have atm.

Post subject: Re: I think my 808 is dying help?!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 am 

I had the same problem but only with the stock disk that came with the 808.
I got more disks from ebay and no more problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:55 am 

ya the disk is done, just get more. Had that happen to me. just used the disk that came with it when i bought it off ebay, and after a while it just gave up. Since its always spinning while the 808 is on, i guess it went through its cycles. Just get another disk man, the easiest thing to do when you have to troubleshoot something like this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:33 pm 

cheers fellas :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:55 pm 

Bump. Click. Ow.

This problem... i was running old discs for a while (really, a long while due to having trouble sourcing them at a cost I could afford..)

I think the drive-disc dialogue: ...they influence each other, by which i mean by using scrambled discs (sample/delete/chop/wipe/reformat/repeat) has damaged the drive itself - proof is in that when I finally got a box of new discs a couple of them fucked out before they were even half full of samples (the OS works, pads light up, but the pads are silent... or some just read "disc error" and require several attempts of turning the machine on and off again just to eject. Of the discs that still work, depending on which one I'm using sometimes the OS also acts weird, for example, randomly changing effects on me.

Needless to say I'm looking toward replacing the drive cause those shitty little discs arent cheap. Meanwhile, every day I'm still able to produce music on this thing I'm grateful for.... bottom line, discard discs the second they start doing anything out of the ordinary.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5