It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:30 am

Post subject: SP as a multi track
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:49 am 

anyone tried doing this? i.e. resampling a sample looping while someone rhymed on it? Seems you could do it like you bounce tracks on a cassette deck

Post subject: Re: SP as a multi track
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:28 am 

yes, it's a cool idea.
also resampling+playing instruments it's cool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:31 am 

before i had an sp i had kp3, was doin that all the time. tracks play looped, i resample + play something over. so naturally that was the first thing i tried with an sp. too bad tracks stop playin once you hit rec button, and it's hard to sync loops with instrument right from the start...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:17 pm 

genn bo wrote:
before i had an sp i had kp3, was doin that all the time. tracks play looped, i resample + play something over. so naturally that was the first thing i tried with an sp. too bad tracks stop playin once you hit rec button, and it's hard to sync loops with instrument right from the start...

a sort of trick to solve this is to first record drums parts and then resample the rest, so to have a "metronome feel"...i know, it's not the same as resampling the patterns...that's why i have an st-224 also...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:21 pm 

At least you can record incoming audio while you are playing the pads on the 303. The 404 can not. But ya, no way to resample patterns from within the machine.

So for the record, you put an entire beat on a single pad by recording it to the computer and then sample the beat back into the PC. Then on a separate pad you can record the vocals at the same time while the beat is playing. The downside to this is that vocals and the beat will both be recorded to the same pad.

Playing the beat on the PC, then rappin into the 303 would be best. That way you can have the beat on one pad and the vocals on the other.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:48 pm 

another option is if you have another sampler, two 404's or a 404 and 303, chained together, play the beat on the second sampler with ext source on, while you record your shit onto a pad on the first sampler, then you can mix em both, either in a lengthy pattern on one of the samplers with some masterful marking skills, or bounce both tracks out and mix em in a DAW

PS-formal double check where you write PC and SP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:02 pm 

I said it correctly. Basically I was suggesting recording his beat onto the computer for play back. I know the beat is already on the SP, but I suggested this as a method to get the beats and accapella/raps alone on its own individual pads so he has more control over the final mix. So using the computer you could hear the beat then use the SP sampler to record the vocals while the beats is playing on the computer. This way you have all the parts isolated on the SP instead of having one layer with the beats and raps combined.

Sorry for the confusion guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:23 pm 

formal wrote:
So for the record, you put an entire beat on a single pad by recording it to the computer and then sample the beat back into the PC.

i think you meant back into the SP, thats the only thing i was talking about, but that was in reference to the 303 doing overdubs with resample and ext source on, you're still spot on about the use of the PC though, and i was just sayin you can use a second sampler in place of the PC too, or a digital recorder......the only thing i wouldn't use is a tape playing in a tape deck, cause i feel like i've run into problems where the playback speed can be subtly different each time you play it, it can get really hard to mix properly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:34 am 

Damn, yer right :). Thanks for correcting me.

Glad somebody knows what I'm talking about!

I also second the notion of buying a second sampler.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:05 am 

One step ahead of ya formal. I'm gonna have 3 samplers in the next month(2 sp303's/SU200). My setups gonna be insane!