It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:37 pm

Post subject: New 303 user!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:35 pm 

Hey guys, I'm so excited, I just copped a 303 and will hopefully be going to pick it up sometime this week. It's going to be my first sampler, I'm crossing over from software. I've been using FL for about 6 years now, since I was 16 and I dunno, I'm starting to feel like I've outgrown it a little bit. The mixtape I have in my siggy was made on FL.

My current dream set up that I am slowly putting together besides monitors and mixers and all that other stuff is a 303, MPC 2kxl, a VS-880ex (I think I am going to go pick that up this afternoon), technics and that TTM57sl for the times when I don't have that specific cut on wax and I want to do some scratching. Oh and a bass guitar that I have. I'm not sure how that is going to sound recorded but we'll see. I hope I can figure out mixing on the VS, but after all that I may do the final master on my computer. I am curious about the 404. It was the first sampler that I was ever interested in back when I was maybe 17. I like the ease of the bpm looper on it and will probably buy it one day in the future if I see it around.

I've already read the manual through and almost every topic on here concerning the 303 (I'm so eager lol) so hopefully I won't be on here every 2 minutes asking for help :lol:

Post subject: Re: New 303 user!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:18 am 

software to the 303...two totally different worlds man, it's gonna take some getting used to.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:13 pm 

I'm sure. I can only imagine but it's okay, I'm more than willing to put in the practice. I don't think it will take thaaaaaat long for me to get the hang of it because I already understand a lot about producing. I just have to worry about learning the machine. I figure its the same as someone getting a new piece of gear and having to learn it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:18 pm 

you will be very frustrated at first, but stick with it.. the workflow of a piece of gear is it's personality moreso than its sound IMO..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:11 pm 

cartesia wrote:
you will be very frustrated at first, but stick with it.. the workflow of a piece of gear is it's personality moreso than its sound IMO..

I like that the 303's workflow is so direct. I'm looking forward to just locking my self in a room and just point a point b-ing. I didn't really have any distraction issues when I used software, but I'm really excited about learning a new approach.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:01 pm 

I havent used a hardware sampler in months, I used to use my 303 or 606 most of the time. I picked up Ableton Live 8 with a MIDI keyboard with drum pads and the work flow is way faster IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:30 pm 

Be prepared for the long loading times of the 303. It def sounds warmer than the 404. good luck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:07 pm 

Aah so I've been trying it out for almost 2 days now. I learned how to maneuver through the controls pretty well without having to check the manual every 2 seconds but I really need to practice with my drums lol. At first it was so scary but now I think I'm starting to love it. I really like using the mark button to chop samples because back when I used to use FL, I would kind of chop my samples the same way. I would just listen with my eyes closed and then pause it where I want it to loop or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am 

Waddup. I'm going to be rocking 2 sp303s. I can pick one up now, and one after I pay it off. I'm probably going to fill one with beats, and one with basslines, but I might have to get myself a dj mixer and a deck so I can crate dig/chop. I have Ableton, but lately, it's just a PITA to use. I'm also scoring a used Yamaha SU200, but not sure what I want that one for as of yet. (I'm also paying that one off) I've got a current setup of a Novation X-station61 VA keyboard, 3 electribes (ea1, er1, em1) and a Yamaha DX200. I'm getting pretty excited to add to my current family of gear. Yeah, I'd love a more advanced MPC, but for now, the sp303(s) will make a good edition.

Peace! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 am 

Just got my sp303 today, but I'm having problems with initializing the memory cards I have for it. (Both 3.3V 16 MB cards). If anybody can help, PM me or post...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:48 am 

MechaLove wrote:
Aah so I've been trying it out for almost 2 days now. I learned how to maneuver through the controls pretty well without having to check the manual every 2 seconds but I really need to practice with my drums lol. At first it was so scary but now I think I'm starting to love it. I really like using the mark button to chop samples because back when I used to use FL, I would kind of chop my samples the same way. I would just listen with my eyes closed and then pause it where I want it to loop or whatever.

The only problems I come across is the sequencing and the basic organisation of my sounds on the 303.

And I guess the resample method is something I need to work on.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:09 pm 

the struggle is half the fun to me. at this stage i am having varied success with having stuff loop smoothly but i am sure over time i will get the knack.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:53 am 

I've been wanting to save up (I'm finally doing that now) for a 303 for a couple years now, I love the idea of using samplers for drums and shit instead of a computer.

btw Mecha your mixtape is really good, I'm enjoying it :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:31 am 

woo, thanks lol. I made it on FL though. My 303 stuff is still on the recorder. I'm not yet ready to upload it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:27 pm 

The monkey-fist technique of the 303 is to trim the samples at the same or double BPM. So if you resampled your oneshot drums and the sample is at 89 BPM then all other samples must be at 89 or 178 BPM. When you do it right, your samples will harmonously play in sync without drift.