It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:05 am

Post subject: sp-303, sound quality, computers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:12 am 

So I did a search on this topic and found some information but I'd like to directly ask the users on this forum that have tracked out and recorded from their sp with a computer.

Have a you guys experienced a significant sound quality loss when recording to a computer in general, and secondly, is there a dramatic difference between using an audio interface and just the mic in on a laptop?

I have a presonus inspire that I haven't had access to and I might sell it once I get it back, so I was wondering if the sound quality from just recording to my 1/8 line in would still get the warm sound of the 303. That warm sound is one of the main reasons I got a 303 in the first place :wink:

Post subject: Re: sp-303, sound quality, computers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 am 

As long you record it in wav format you can keep that warm 303 sound. I would recommend an audio interface for better sound. The mic input will just put your beats in mono with a slight less quality and panning effects can sound dull.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:45 pm 

yeah i know an audio interface would be better, but i'm limited temporarily, so i really just wanted to know how much of that warm sound is lost when recording into the comp.

thanks for the concise response

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:57 am 

mta7388 wrote:
yeah i know an audio interface would be better, but i'm limited temporarily, so i really just wanted to know how much of that warm sound is lost when recording into the comp.

This one is real cheap and works great.

Behringer U-Control USB/Audio Interface 48kHz UCA202

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm 

It would sound alright using the mic input, if you want the beats in mono. I'm sure Windows got EQ effects to straighten out your sound, but record it to wav.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 pm 

cerpin taxt wrote:
mta7388 wrote:

This one is real cheap and works great.

Behringer U-Control USB/Audio Interface 48kHz UCA202

Does that U-control works well?
i never use a laptop but if this thing works i will use it to record some of mine beats into Cool edit 2.1 and practice my mixing skill.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 am 

Yo, the line in on a mac is a stereo line in. Meaning if you have a stereo rca to 1/8th inch cable you will get stereo( I think most if not all laptops are like this). Will it make you ish sound less warm....YES. It will make your ish sound slightly poorer in every context, warmth,coldth, room temperatureth, your sound will loose a little bit of everything. That being said, how much you loose is to be determined by you. A/B using a line in and a soundcard, thats the only way you will hear what the difference is.

My 303 stay on Vinyl Sim.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:51 am 
303 Award Winner '09

My new pc asus laptop has a pretty crap audio in with a lot of low freq hum, but my mac books line in is fairly high quality and a cleaner signal in general. That U-control will sort you out for a cheap price, then just record into Reaper or what ever you got/like to record with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:26 am 

yeah my inspire interface is actually comin back from repair fri, but i might sell it and go for the u-control, recording myself is really all that i need anyway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:17 am 

Bridge wrote:
Yo, the line in on a mac is a stereo line in. Meaning if you have a stereo rca to 1/8th inch cable you will get stereo( I think most if not all laptops are like this). Will it make you ish sound less warm....YES. It will make your ish sound slightly poorer in every context, warmth,coldth, room temperatureth, your sound will loose a little bit of everything. That being said, how much you loose is to be determined by you. A/B using a line in and a soundcard, thats the only way you will hear what the difference is.

On a mac, you have to set the input to line and not mic, then set the input to the minimum possible with the system settings.

After that, your sound will still be hotter than normal line, so if you are using an analog mixer with a meter of, say 5 segments until it goes in the red on the mixer, you will probably not want to push it past 2 or 3 segments (which is about the maximum and goes to red on the computer's meter).

If you do this it will sound o.k. even without a special interface.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:18 am 

Yeah make sure you use the line in and not the mic in if you have the option