It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Drewzle wrote:
chulukinat - you reckon he resamples the kick and snare onto a pad while the hat loop is playing, making that single pad hold all the drum parts? that's help polyphony i guess, but wouldn't it be a bit restrictive groove-wise?

if you cant get groovy without quantize yes... but most of the time groove is created in real time so i don't see your point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:21 am 

i meant 'groove' more from a perspective of being able to add delay to hi-hats alone, or to compress the snare, or most importantly CHANGE THE TEMPO :)

i generally don't quantise everything so the rhythm 'groove' still is kept within these separate parts of the pattern

i like the fluidity of having individual hits mapped out...it allows me change drum sound without redoing the pattern, make copies of patterns to add/delete elements, adjust the track's BPM, etc

i can see some benefit to resampling all drums as a loop on one pad, especially as a track gets finished and you bounce down parts to compress. of course all this is just my preferences for how i tend to work. it is interesting to see you guys have different techniques

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:02 am 
Site Admin

its not possible to resample a hihat loop you have sequenced so i was talking about a hihat loop as in a sample.
i personally use the SP to just play around with on the ruff tip and just see how it turns out...if i have specific ideas on how i wanna make the track or wanna have more flexibility i use the mpc...or perhaps the computer.