It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 am

Post subject: how to perfect samples?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:23 am 

when i see videos of people using the 303, their drums, sequences, and everything are just perfect, how do you make the sample truncate so perfectly?

Post subject: Re: how to perfect samples?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:36 am 

you don't even gotta truncate, thats deleting everything that you have unmarked, just mark the samples and shit properly, run em through effects if you want to beef em up or smooth em out or whatever, start playin around with what you gotta sequence, and then sequence it up as best you can and adjust the mark points afterwards to tighten it up if you got to, you'll be flowin on the box in no time, just gotta stay on it for a little, keep makin beats and you'll get the hang of makin it sound good

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:32 am 

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/om.cfm?PRODUCT=SP-303 here´s the manual :D it knows surprisingly much about the sampler :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:41 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

You have to just get good with that mark button.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 am 

Most gear you buy takes alot of trial and error. You stay up late, learning each function, how to push it to it's limits, and before you know it, it'd be like riding a bike. But if you get stuck, you should just ask around here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:57 pm 

As long all your samples have the same BPM as the sequence, then your beats will be tight. I would trim a sample to death until it matched the bpm so the samples could loop in harmony with another and infinitely.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:09 pm 

I make my samples with computer and load off SM card.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
As long all your samples have the same BPM as the sequence, then your beats will be tight. I would trim a sample to death until it matched the bpm so the samples could loop in harmony with another and infinitely.

Could you give a bit more detail on how to achieve setting your samples to the BPM of the sequence?

I notice that I cant't really adjust the BPM of a sample once its recorded onto a pad.

(All I can do is make it twice as fast or slow when I turn the FX knob??)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:58 am 
303 Award Winner '09

The key is to mark your samples precisely on the down beat and grab a small 2 or 4 bar loop. At that point you can stretch it to just about all but the most extreme bpm. People don't like the timestrecth, but after you add some crispy drums off vinyl and other embellishments the sound stretch artifacts blend nice brah. :mrgreen: The 303 is weird and slow to learn but it'll never stop being useful and challenging.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:05 am 

It often helps a lot for me to compress the sum of the drums slightly (maybe with that vinyl function) and give em a short reverb.. it can be the glue for your drums.. when the drums fit, the beat will fit as long as you match bpm times ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:44 pm 

Kalaba wrote:
I notice that I cant't really adjust the BPM of a sample once its recorded onto a pad.

(All I can do is make it twice as fast or slow when I turn the FX knob??)

wrong knob, brah. there's a time knob and a bpm knob. bpm will double or half the bpm. time knob will do a time stretch or compress. do you have the manual? this is a pretty basic function, i don't really see how you could have missed it in there...
also, if you set the pad's bpm to 'ptn' it should change its bpm automatically to match the pattern bpm (when you change the pattern bpm)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:55 am 

Uno wrote:
It often helps a lot for me to compress the sum of the drums slightly (maybe with that vinyl function) and give em a short reverb.. it can be the glue for your drums.. when the drums fit, the beat will fit as long as you match bpm times ;)

wanna elaborate on how you compress the drums as one? if it can be done in the box i would like to know!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:14 am 

Euclid Ov Oåklånd wrote:
The key is to mark your samples precisely on the down beat and grab a small 2 or 4 bar loop. At that point you can stretch it to just about all but the most extreme bpm. People don't like the timestrecth, but after you add some crispy drums off vinyl and other embellishments the sound stretch artifacts blend nice brah. :mrgreen: The 303 is weird and slow to learn but it'll never stop being useful and challenging.

yo u got a beat that used the timestretch? i wanna hear that shit cuz i never fucked wit it for its sound. . .im usin a 404 but im pretty sure their simialar enough

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:03 pm 

assembly_line wrote:
Uno wrote:

wanna elaborate on how you compress the drums as one? if it can be done in the box i would like to know!

I usually do it later on in the mix, but you can add one effect to many pads. I'm not sure if its the same like compressing the sum, but for my ears it does really well.