It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 am

Post subject: Connecting MPD24 to the SP-303
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 am 

Hi,

I have an mpd24 and have been attempting to connect it via midi to my SP303 but I cannot get the SP303 to recognise the midi signals.

The SP303 manuals states that the midi channel should be set to 1. I have tried sending on all the MIDI channels on the MPD.

Has anyone had success using the SP303 with a midi controller?

thanks,

Camtona.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:41 am 

My mpd24 should be arriving at the end of the week. Im gonna try hook it up to the 404 just like i was able to hook the 404 to an axiom controller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:21 am 

Did you guys get it to work? I'm thinking about getting one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:52 am 

yep, got it to work. set it up with the MPD sending midi via the usb to the soundcard -> then the soundcard's midi out sending to the midi in on the SP.

the SP 303 manual has the Midi settings outlined so I made a preset on the MPD called "SP-303" with those. works a treat. now I have 16 levels and velocity sensitive pads on the SP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 am 

16 levels like the 16 levels function on the MPC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:20 am 

I think so (never owned an MPC) but yeah, 16 levels of volume on an SP pad.

pity the MPD does not have chromatic tuning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:38 am 

Ok now I understand, the 16 level tuning is impossible to obtain on the 303/404 since both machines lack the functionality to chromatically tune a sample, they recognize velocity over the midi in though, which IMO the only reason why one would use an MPD/midi controller with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:46 am 

camtona wrote:
yep, got it to work. set it up with the MPD sending midi via the usb to the soundcard -> then the soundcard's midi out sending to the midi in on the SP.

the SP 303 manual has the Midi settings outlined so I made a preset on the MPD called "SP-303" with those. works a treat. now I have 16 levels and velocity sensitive pads on the SP!

hey woah, i had totally given up on the mpd and 404!!

although i still cant get it to work. any chance you can upload the template?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:14 pm 

If u upload that preset from your MPD into your uniquest software u can uplod it to Rapidshre or megaupload or sumthing....Hook us up with that Preset you made for it....Peace

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THAT PRESET!!!

AIM: heatahustla
www.myspace.com/youngheat05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:03 pm 

so does this mean you can't run the mpd/mpk/trigger finger straight to the sp-303(or 404). you need the computer middle man; is that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:19 pm 

jbl wrote:
so does this mean you can't run the mpd/mpk/trigger finger straight to the sp-303(or 404). you need the computer middle man; is that right?
I actually figured it out after posting my reply earlier..But uumm he's basically saying if u dont have the plug for the MPD and u have the USB hook the usb up to the computer turn ur computer on soo the mpd will be on and hook the midi out of the mpd to the sp then make a preset for the sp cause I seen on the mpd that the pads are already set up by default to work with the sp 303 pads pads 1-8 on the mpd are bank a then 9-16 are bank b on the sp then BANK B on the MPD pads 1-8 are bank C on the sp then pads 9-16 is bank D on the SP ......

EDIT: BUT MAKE SURE UR MPD IS SET TO 1A FOR THE COMMON MIDI CHANNEL!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:30 pm 

hi guys, apologies for not replying earlier.

youngheat is right, it works as he describes with the default GM midi preset. I just copied and renamed this preset to SP303 for my own reference.

It also works without a computer if you have the AC adaptor for the MPD. I have tested this.

I am in the process of trying to use the MPD with my sp505 too but have only had partial success. I'm sure it can work, but the midi settings in the 505 manual seem complicated to me.

cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:56 am 

camtona wrote:

youngheat is right, it works as he describes with the default GM midi preset. I just copied and renamed this preset to SP303 for my own reference.

It also works without a computer if you have the AC adaptor for the MPD. I have tested this.

I am in the process of trying to use the MPD with my sp505 too but have only had partial success. I'm sure it can work, but the midi settings in the 505 manual seem complicated to me.

cheers.

I can't get it to work with the sp404... Are you guys hooking up the midi to your computer or to the MPD24? I can't see why that should make a difference, but it doesn't work for me right now. (have it hooked up to the mpd)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:42 pm 

DarkWing wrote:
camtona wrote:

cheers.

I can't get it to work with the sp404... Are you guys hooking up the midi to your computer or to the MPD24? I can't see why that should make a difference, but it doesn't work for me right now. (have it hooked up to the mpd)

Yo man heres what you do

Step 1. PLug the usb of your mpd into your PC
Step 2. Turn your PC on if its not on already.
Step 3. Turn your knob and change ur preset to either 13 or 14 one of the presets that say <default
Step 4. NAme that SP 404 (TO NAME A PRESET ON THE MPD PRESS THE > TWICE THEN TURN YOUR DATA KNOB).
Step 5. Grab your midi cable and hook it into the midi out of your MPD.
Step 6. hook the other end of the midi cable to your midi in of your SP
Step 7. GO CRAZY WITH SAMPLING READ MY POST EARLIER ABOUT WHICH PADS CORESPOND TO WHICH AND WHICH BANKS CORRESPOND TO THE BANKS ON THE SP!!!!!!

YOUR WELCOME AND LET US KNOW IF THAT HELPS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:55 pm 

@ youngheat thanks for taking the time... That's what I've been doing, plus i'm holding pad 1 on start up to get it to be 1A