It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 pm

Post subject: My 303 won't turn on
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:54 am 

As the title says my 303 just won't turn on for some reason. I used it last like 4 or 5 days ago and it was working perfectly then and has just been sitting on my shelf. Has anyone ran into this problem before??? I searched through some old threads on the topic but didn't really find anything helpful. I will be getting something to test the power supply tomorrow. Any help at all would be much appreciated, this SUCKS!!! :evil: :cry:

Post subject: Re: My 303 won't turn on
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:51 am 

Already experienced the death of my og404 two times : the first time, the adapter was dead, the second time it was a problem with a new unformated card.
I hope you'll be as lucky as me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm 

If you have a roland groovebox, korg electribe or the like you can try it with those power supplies. It just needs to be 9v, 500mah (or up), with the center pin negative.
Those $4 multimeters from harbor freight are great for checking power adapters and there is usually a coupon for a free one with any purchase.

If you can verify that the adapter is good (by multimeter, or plugging it into another unit). Plug it in to the 303, power it on, gently and slowly move it around to see if the 303 lights up. If it lights up, more than likely you just need to open it up and reheat the solder joints around the power plug.

This problem happens a lot on the old korg electribes and is a super easy fix. The last 202 I had needed the same fix.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:17 pm 

lol try shaking it :lol: :lol: :lol:

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:54 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys, I have yet to get my hands on a multimeter but I'm feeling pretty sure it's a power supply issue. The one that came with it has definitely seen better days and I opened up the 303 this morning and everything looks perfectly fine inside. Unfortunately I don't have any other compatible power supplies to try so I'm stuck till I can test the one I have. Seems like they're not too expensive to replace so I'm really hoping that's it. Also shaking it did not work :( that was the first thing I tried lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:14 pm 

Finger crossed for you ;)

off topic : Seriously, since I consider to buy a sp303... I mean... is it really worth the price, according to its age ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:08 am 

do ask for pics of power supply when purchasing off ebay. mine came with a third party adapter that exploded weeks later. luckily no damage to the SP.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 pm 

So I FINALLY got ahold of a multimeter and I'm pretty positive it's just my power supply that's broken.

https://www.amazon.com/SP-303-Sampler-r ... B00GQVJHY2

That's the one I think I'm gonna order, if anyone could let me know if I'm making a huge mistake it would be much appreciated but that one seems legit. It'll probably be a week or two before I can order it.

Yeah saladolar I would say they're absolutely worth the price, I've only owned the 303 and 404sx and I think the 303 effects sound a lot warmer and sweeter, plus ext in + resampling at the same time is a godsend. It's cool but sort of tedious to use on its own but you definitely learn some shit making whole tracks on just the 303. Pairing it with something with more capability like an mpc or a bigger sp has become my favorite way to make music.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 am 

Personally I would order one with feedback/reviews, or one that at least has a picture or states the polarity of the plug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Volt-1A-DC-P ... Sw3utY5FhV

Whatever you get made sure you double check it with a multimeter before plugging it in to your 303

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 pm 

Crane wrote:
Personally I would order one with feedback/reviews, or one that at least has a picture or states the polarity of the plug.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Volt-1A-DC-P ... Sw3utY5FhV

Whatever you get made sure you double check it with a multimeter before plugging it in to your 303

ugh i don' t want to buy a multimeter

is there a cheap good one i should get

IIIII wrote:
he can turn water into a beat, and feed a thousand dancehalls with only two drumbreaks

"If you want that '90s sound, record at 12 bit as HOT as you can."