It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

Post subject: Drum Tips on using Compression and Equalizer and other FX's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:51 pm 

Question 1:
How can i make my drums sound more authentic. I've done some dabbling in re-sampling a basic drum pattern using compression and using the equalizer, however I'm hoping someone out there can give me a detailed breakdown on where cntrl 1,2 & 3 should be when adding compression or the equalizer. (I think the amount of attack is the amount fade-in will be added to the basic drum pattern? What does the sustain do? Cntrl 3 is Level thats self-explantory)

Question 2:
The Levels of drums where should they be? How loud to you rock your Kicks, Snares and Hi-Hats? How do you go about tuning your kick and snare to make it fit the sample. All basic questions I'm sure and I'm guessing some answers here will be, " It all depends on the sample you are using." or "Just play with it until you find your sound."

Question 3:

Snares! Tell me your deepest darkest secrets on adding different snares, claps and fills! I know this a big one to ask and some may not want to share!

Post subject: Re: Drum Tips on using Compression and Equalizer and other F
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:38 pm 

JOHNSONDONTSURF wrote:
Question 1:
How can i make my drums sound more authentic. I've done some dabbling in re-sampling a basic drum pattern using compression and using the equalizer, however I'm hoping someone out there can give me a detailed breakdown on where cntrl 1,2 & 3 should be when adding compression or the equalizer. (I think the amount of attack is the amount fade-in will be added to the basic drum pattern? What does the sustain do? Cntrl 3 is Level thats self-explantory)

Question 2:
The Levels of drums where should they be? How loud to you rock your Kicks, Snares and Hi-Hats? How do you go about tuning your kick and snare to make it fit the sample. All basic questions I'm sure and I'm guessing some answers here will be, " It all depends on the sample you are using." or "Just play with it until you find your sound."

Question 3:

Snares! Tell me your deepest darkest secrets on adding different snares, claps and fills! I know this a big one to ask and some may not want to share!

You're right, everything depends on the sample. For the most part, I usually cut out unneeded frequencies. For kicks I cut the highs and some mids, and for snares and hi hats i cut the lows and add in slight highs and mids if need be.

For snare sounds: LAYER, PITCH, use the Chormatic Pitch shift to add chunky harmonics to the snare.

Post subject: Re: Drum Tips on using Compression and Equalizer and other F
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 pm 

nubes wrote:

You're right, everything depends on the sample. For the most part, I usually cut out unneeded frequencies. For kicks I cut the highs and some mids, and for snares and hi hats i cut the lows and add in slight highs and mids if need be.

For snare sounds: LAYER, PITCH, use the Chormatic Pitch shift to add chunky harmonics to the snare.

Yo, thank you so much for the response!

Turning down the hi's on a kick and the lows for hats totally makes sense! It's stuff like that that really goes a long way, it may be common sense to some but to others like me it truly helps out a ton. Can't wait to get off work and try this out on some of my drum samples.