It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Post subject: Moved to the 303
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:51 pm 

Hey Guys,

I moved from the 404 to a 303, took about a year break and i am getting back to it with the microkorg.

How do you like to make your beats on this guy???

I use the resample technique, and i know the sequencer well, but i was wondering if anyone else has any tips to making loops or patterns.

I have audacity, and fruity loops.... I tried to record a sequence of my samples.... then my drums... but the latency was INSANE. and i couldnt match them so i went back to the re-sample

I know its vague!!!

P.S. I used to be a member here but i couldnt log on to my old accounts :(

thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Moved to the 303
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:33 pm 

resampling+sampling live while resampling it's a good start
i also use the "internal metronome" technique: i sample a hihat figuring it as my metronome

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:21 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
i also use the "internal metronome" technique: i sample a hihat figuring it as my metronome

This is basically the only way I use my 808... though with this 'internal metronome' technique I would tend to use a snare hit as the constant and lay the hats and bass later. Most times however I just play a straight 2 or 4 bars of bass + snare using resample and no metronome of any kind, usually add hats last... many routes to the same destination.

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:14 pm 

l i f wrote:
ellaguru wrote:

This is basically the only way I use my 808... though with this 'internal metronome' technique I would tend to use a snare hit as the constant and lay the hats and bass later. Most times however I just play a straight 2 or 4 bars of bass + snare using resample and no metronome of any kind, usually add hats last... many routes to the same destination.

Thanks for the tips guys. I peeped the videos of that cat re-sampling with his Keyboard. I look forward to trying these out tonight. Its pretty damn hard to figure out that high hat volume though... haha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:06 pm 

Why did you ditch the 404?

On the hihat metronome technique, so you guys use a hihat as a basic. But when you resample you can't remove that hihat anymore. What if the pattern was to basic, or you want to do some crazy hihats? Or the volume is not right? Then you have a problem, right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:02 pm 

RayFrancis wrote:

On the hihat metronome technique, so you guys use a hihat as a basic. But when you resample you can't remove that hihat anymore. What if the pattern was to basic, or you want to do some crazy hihats? Or the volume is not right? Then you have a problem, right?

You'll just have to redo it if it really bothers you :mrgreen:

You just have to make sure you levels are right or to your liking before resampling. I usually don't add the compression till the end, so to kind of check how things will sound, you can apply FX on multiple pads and the EXin by holding down the "Remain" button and test how things will mesh before actually resampling and adding FX.

It's kind of frustrating to hear something you don't like and not have the ability to go back and fix it correctly. I usually just leave it as is or try to fix it in Ableton Live via post processing or just literally cutting it out massaging it till it sounds alright.

I usually start off with a kick and snare and just loop it. I'll add the highhats later. I forget the max polyphony of the 303 but you can only record soo many pads at once so I just keep it simple and build as a I go.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:12 pm 

andy wrote:
RayFrancis wrote:

You'll just have to redo it if it really bothers you :mrgreen:

You just have to make sure you levels are right or to your liking before resampling. I usually don't add the compression till the end, so to kind of check how things will sound, you can apply FX on multiple pads and the EXin by holding down the "Remain" button and test how things will mesh before actually resampling and adding FX.

It's kind of frustrating to hear something you don't like and not have the ability to go back and fix it correctly. I usually just leave it as is or try to fix it in Ableton Live via post processing or just literally cutting it out massaging it till it sounds alright.

I usually start off with a kick and snare and just loop it. I'll add the highhats later. I forget the max polyphony of the 303 but you can only record soo many pads at once so I just keep it simple and build as a I go.

I wonder if starting off with the drums would work better than using the sample to determine the BPM of the loop i am using.

I am getting a tad bit better after taking in these responses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:13 pm 

RayFrancis wrote:

The OL'

"I needed money a few years ago, so i sold the only thing i truely loved schpeal"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:26 pm 

Andy Caine wrote:
RayFrancis wrote:

The OL'

"I needed money a few years ago, so i sold the only thing i truely loved schpeal"

Ahw shiiitt, been there, done that :(