It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

Post subject: overdubbing external sources
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:20 pm 

Hi there,

An sp 404 accidentally landed at my house the other day and no-one seemed to keen to figure it out, after a few hours of fiddling it all started making sense and then the thing began to grow on me.

However it would ideally be used in equal measure as a quasi looper as it would be a beat / sample creation machine / production unit until I discovered that categorically you CANNOT record an external sound source while simultaneously recording against existing material. (Either as a re sample or onto a separate pad...deal-breaker.)

Then after much research I think I have deduced this can in fact in one way or another this can be done on the SP 303, (why this option has been omitted on later editions is beyond me) but just for the record I would be greatly indebted if someone could just double confirm for me:

"Can you overdub a new external sound source, be it bass, guitar, drum loop another synth) into the SP 303 while simultaneously hearing a pre-existing loop as a way of overdubbing?"

With that in mind I have also read that this is possible on the SP 505, certainly not an attractive looking machine but do any SP 303 enthusiasts have any thoughts / feelings on the SP 505?

Cheers.

Post subject: Specific questions about the 303, couldn't search for answer

Post subject: Re: overdubbing external sources
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:29 pm 

Your probably better off checking out regular loop pedals. That sounds like what you need. 303s are like 250-3somthing secondhand.
Loop pedals are like 200

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm 

Be that as it may and I realize that point and appreciate the quick response to my post but the dilemma is this:

with a conventional loop pedal you have no sample editing facilities be they advance or crude, no drum / beat facilities and limited scope in introducing new synthesis.

I've been on the phone with Roland and Yamaha this last few days looking for solutions, as well as quite a number of music stores, but my requests are not conventional. Most people want to work in the box with pre -existing material, (loops / beats etc) or with organic instrumentation on loop pedals set agasinst real drummers but the facility for combining both things, (samples / loops and conventional instrumentation / live vox) in a sample based environment seem only to be available with the SP 303 and perhaps, (though I'm not yet certain, the SP 505. This is probably why the manufactures have ceased to include these overdubbing / external source re sampling features in newer models.

The obvious option is to put everything on the PC, (which in due course is where it will end up) but the reasons forums and archaic equipment such as what we are discussing exist is because a certain percent of the global music making community feels a little sniffled when stuck in front of a PC all day, (myself obviously included.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:21 pm 

The 303 and 505 can both record an external input while resampling. The omission of this feature on newer models is a heated debate around here.

The sp555 can also capture external input, but it works differently than the 303/505.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:50 pm 

I have the same problem with SP404sx, I realy need a overdubbing sampler, you can try with KORG kaosspad 3 instead.
cheers!