It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 pm 

fauna wrote:
sweet. have fun, bro. break some legs. let us know how it flows.

Thanks, man. it went really well. There were no major fuck ups, and we got very good feedback. A few people were asking how I played an entire set off such a little sampler. I just told them that the 404 is magical tool and once you harness it's powers you can do anything you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:57 pm 

Ha ha.... it IS magic!

Any recordings of the show?

http://www.myspace.com/0013x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:14 pm 

oolex wrote:
Ha ha.... it IS magic!

Any recordings of the show?

Unfortunatley not. It was my first show where I played the beats live, and I didn't know if it was going to go well or horribly wrong, so I decided to just do the show, and then try and record the next one. Everyone was digging it so I'm sure we'll be playing again at some point and I'll try to get it recorded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm 

Cool..... I'd like to see/hear it.

http://www.myspace.com/0013x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:31 pm 

oolex wrote:
Cool..... I'd like to see/hear it.

word

glad it went well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:52 am 

fauna wrote:

and yeah - keep the live ish discussion going, cuz as you say, its important to dvlp yr own sound, and discussion / ideas can help. i've had my own thing going for years, but these days the biggest issue is transforming that into real-time performance, via the sp- and aw that (and of course, the overall sound changes in the process).

peas.

I see, so what do you find is hardest thing to transfer from the recording/ideas process to the live playing situations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:52 am 

* edited due to double post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 pm 

KevinHenry wrote:
fauna wrote:

and yeah - keep the live ish discussion going, cuz as you say, its important to dvlp yr own sound, and discussion / ideas can help. i've had my own thing going for years, but these days the biggest issue is transforming that into real-time performance, via the sp- and aw that (and of course, the overall sound changes in the process).

peas.

I see, so what do you find is hardest thing to transfer from the recording/ideas process to the live playing situations?

For me it was not fucking up. If I'm just coming up with ideas/recording shit, I'm usually by myself, and I can take all the time I need. If I fuck up a pattern or something, I can just start over. No big deal. If you mess up live, you can't really be like "oh shit, sorry, lemme start over" so you have to adapt and just roll with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:09 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

KevinHenry wrote:
fauna wrote:

peas.

well, previously, i'd multitrack "backing tracks", output them to mini disc, and play over them live. its all my stuff, but its more static - live guitar and vox, but everything else was as-built, from the computer.

now that i'm using hardware more dynamically, i'm triggering stuff live, changing up arrangements, generally twisting and stretching the stuff i've loaded onto the sampler/looper. as i practice, i find new arrangement ideas, harmonic ideas, tones, textures, timbres, etc., that i didn't necessarily find when playing over stuff i'd build w/ the 'phones on in front of the pc. it feels more vital, even tho i still was feeling what i built on the pc. if you follow.

again tho, this is for a solo thing. i know from being an audience member at other solo performances that i LOVE seeing how the artist builds their tracks, so i've shifted to trying to show this too. the trade off is that its a lot less stable, so the fuckuppery mentioned by others is an ish as well. but i fink its working. its certainly more fun to write in this way (for me).