It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 am

Post subject: 303 maximum sample length / time?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:45 pm 

i was very excited that with a 64MB smartmedia card, teh SP-303 has a maximum sample time of 33 minutes at standard quality (44.1k). perfect, i thought, i have to do a half hour set. i can drop WAV files from my computer onto the card with my reader, throw them on a few pads, and be able to manipulate the sound as they play!

#1: i notice that even though the files total only 23 minutes in length, one alone takes up 35MB of the card. the file is 44.1k, 16-bit, about 4 mins long. already i'm wondering how the specs are correct. do they refer to samples in mono, and stereo samples take up double the space?

#2: i dutifully follow the "Importing Wave Data to the SP-303 From a Computer" section. everything is as is should be...until the actual moment of importing. 303 goes through the motions of loading the file to bank C or D, but it completes way too soon and no pads are lit.

is there a maximum time per sample file?

i've done this successfully before so i know it'snot the ard or the unit. i must be missing something.

Post subject: Re: 303 maximum sample length / time?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:54 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

I would venture the guess that you have a simple calculation problem. I assume you are trying to load stereo wave files, but if you notice in the manual all sample times are mono and therefor the time is divided by a factor of 2 which gives you 16.5 minutes.

Post subject: Re: 303 maximum sample length / time?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:54 pm 

Euclid is correct about the mono vs stereo times. When you are trying to import a wav file there needs to be extra room on the card for the files convert from wav to the compressed Roland/Boss format. If you want to achieve the maximum stereo sample time I would suggest manually recording the songs to each pad separately. This will require an 1/8" stereo jack to RCA cable and a pair of headphones/speakers. So yah, I would say not to import using the car unless the sounds are very small (a few seconds in length).

You can check the amount of time you have on your card by selecting a card pad bank and pressing the "remain" button. The LCD will give you a number and that is your card time in minutes.