It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:35 am

Post subject: How do you use your SP-303
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 am 

What's up!. Just bought the SP-303
( Never used Boss samplers before )

I have started to read the manual. But this seems really difficult.
I have not really got started with how the machine works, and sadly, maybe I am too excited to get started..

So I find that it is very difficult to make all the beats with just a turntable and my SP-303,. ( that whas my idea, make beats with turntable and SP-303 ).
Im not too much into looping samples, More into chop em up and flip it around..
And damn, Seems like it's really hard,.

Have portion eye when it comes to beats in general, ( Have used the MPC2000XL, Maschine, Reason, for example..

Enough of that! My question is if there is some type of quick guide to recommend?. By going through the steps to record samples to put it all together to a beat which you then can track over to the computer..
Or maybe some youtube-tutorials, ( Havent seen any useful
videos yet. )

If someone can help me get started I would be really grateful!.

My idea was to lay the baseline afterwards in the computer, With a microKORG or similar, ( seems like it would be easier ).

But I dont know!..

Appreciate any help on the way!

excuse my bad English

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: How do you use your SP-303
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 am 

Gonna catch a lot of grief for this comment. But:

I use the SP as a stand to rest my ST-224 Sampletrak on top of.

Now, before you start throwing lettuce and tomatoes at me, my 303 shit the bed on me and collects dust being broke. So I copped a $70 Zoom product and am pleased with the sound from the "dirt machine".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:46 am 

Prepare for a long post.. And don't worry you're not the only one. I've always used my SP-303 with sampling from a turntable and used the MPC2000XL aswell which is gathering dust now because of the little beast. If I can make beats with it, so can you!

First of all, just play around with the machine (it's loads of fun!). Just sample drums or a break into the 303 and chop it up with the "Mark" button by pressing it once to make a start point of your chop and then again to make an end point for your chop (it will be one of your best friends!). After that you can fine-tune your chops with the "Start/End/Level" button on the upper right of the SP (2nd knob (next to volume)=Start point, 3rd knob= End point) and resample them to different pads (refer to the manual on how to resample). And you will probably will have a layout like this:

Pad1: The full break, which is probably marked on one drum hit or just the whole break (so the "Mark" button isn't lit then!)

Pad2: A Kick drum

Pad3: A hi hat

Pad4: A snare

Just use those and try out effects to see what they do to the sound and get to know it and don't get too bothered with making "heat" yet or I think you will get stressed out if you don't get anything out of it that you're satisfied with.

If you wanna make beats with the SP-303 I suggest you get to know the resample method way of making them. This way you can make different patterns, resample them into a beat instead of making a loop (which can be nice aswell though). When you have that down making beats will somewhat be a breeze when it comes to creating a beat itself.

Talking about the resample method, by resampling try laying down a drum pattern with you're current drums. When you've done that you can do 2 things:

1) Sample more things to put/resample on top of your drum pattern, track out and add your bassline

or

2) Just track out and add your bassline.

Once again, just play around with things and the resampling method to making beats will get you a long way.

Hopefully this has been usefull.. Have fun and good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:39 am 

Thank you very much for the info!.

Have been sitting for a while now and already feel that it is moving forward, slowly but surely!
I tend to be pretty easy to get bored with things, Sold my MPC fairly quickly after I had bought it, Now I'm more excited and interested to learn this machine as much as I can..

Thanks for the great answer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:05 pm 

303 is very capable to make beats. Its a ninja's sampler though and you have to get creative with it or die.

Rabot made some good recommendations.

What I do is create a drum kit on Bank A. Resample a few variations of my drum patterns to 2 or 3 pads on Bank B. So now, Pad 1 got the drum pattern that go "BOOM. Bah BIP, Bah BOOM BIP" and Pad 2 with a manual drum roll. Then I sample some records, about 10 to 15 seconds long so I can chop them. How you chop them you say? By trimming the Start and End points and do not Truncate!! Set the Start and End point of a sample, then resample that trim to a pad. Go back and set another start and end points with the same long sample and resample another cut. Repeat and rinse until that sample is chopped to six or seven pads or whatever.

Don't tell me it can't be done because I'll have the fat bitches come to your house and rape your skinny ass.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:23 pm 

I'm pretty sure that you can't use the metronome when using the re-sample method, so I was just wondering how you would keep your drums at the correct tempo without straying off time constantly?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 pm 

Once used $10 dollar metronome from RadioShack. Then it becomes second nature with practice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 pm 

Thanks for the advices!..

Have been looking for some SP-303 videos, Found this one
-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf_VPz2hTPY

Guess u SP users have seen it, But I can't understand how he can pitch-down the sample so it sounds slow and still nice..

When I press the pad with the sound I have sampled and press Pitch -> Turn knobs it sounds like shit ?. Does not even sound like a pitcheffect ?.

What's the problem ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 pm 

^Turn the 3rd knob all the way left, turn the 4th knob all the way right, and just use the 2nd knob for pitch control.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:21 pm 

Pitch via turntable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:44 pm 

DON_GOLDMAN wrote:
Pitch via turntable

This always.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:03 pm 

There should be a post for tutorial videos on here. I'm more of manual guy and on the job training, but it would be cool to see all of the techniques in action. Spread some ideas and give new users a taste of what you can do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:53 am 

I understand this machine a little bit better now.. But still not 100%..

How do you do if you want to apply different MFX-effects to diffrent sounds ?.
Like EQ on the snare,Kick, Compressor on the kick, and so on ?.

Is that possible ?, I cant figure out how to do it. Lol.

Or do you need to resample the kick with 1 effect ?, And maybe put another one on later ?. Feels like the sound-quality will be bad if I do it like that..

Really want to use EQ on the drum-sounds, I know how to remain the effect to all the sounds, But if I do that, All the drums will be EQed the same.. Dont want low-boost on the snare etc..

Im still a beginner. Sorry if my questions are obvious or stupid :roll:

peace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:57 pm 

you can only use 1 effect at a time. if you resample once it doesn't degrade the sound quality too much i would say.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:59 pm 

Yes you have to resample it,but that is one of the things that give the sounds that distinct 303 vibe. A little will go a long way on this thing