It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 pm

Post subject: broken sp 303
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:28 pm 

hey, I just bought this 'broken sp 303' on ebay and it just came in. seller was saying that it just wouldn't turn on at all , it definitely doesn't and it looks great cosmetically . was wondering if any of you know how to fix this? er if anyone knows what might be wrong with it. should i take it apart and post pictures? i really hope this is an easy fix

Post subject: Re: broken sp 303
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 am 

might just be the power connector thats desoldered but it's hard to know without seeing the thing!

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am 

Rabot wrote:
might just be the power connector thats desoldered but it's hard to know without seeing the thing!

definitely! i'll open it up and post several pics very soon! i really hope i could get this machine running w/ your guys' help!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:28 am 

Attachment:
photo(6).JPG
photo(6).JPG [ 539.54 KiB | Viewed 14908 times ]
alright I opened it up by removing the 5 screws in the back and the 1 screw on the top. but i came across what looks like tape to me holding both sides of the machine together but i don't know how to disconnect it without damaging it to take a better picture of what i believe is the circuit board, etc. so as you can see in one of the pictures i unscrewed this white plate on the side of the 303 that i'm holding in the other picture but i don't know if that did anything. i don't have any idea what i'm doing here so if someone could please guide me thru this it would greatly greatly be appreciated i could send over the 128mb sm card that came w/ it to u.

Attachment:
photo(7).JPG
photo(7).JPG [ 557.6 KiB | Viewed 14908 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:30 am 

the only thing I can see atm, cause I know some shit about electronic but not too much is that there an empty white circle with C215 or something next to it. That thing might be a mission capacitor, but I have a hard time thinking why that cap would not be there.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:31 am 

provide more closeup or where the power plugs in

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:17 pm 

first thing first.. have you tried more than one power suplies?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:50 am 

i can definitely provide more pics. i have tried more than one power supply as I have another 303 that works but to no avail. i was thinking maybe the dude was using the wrong supply cord but unfortunately that's not the case.

Attachment:
photo(8).JPG
photo(8).JPG [ 160.29 KiB | Viewed 14874 times ]

Attachment:
photo(9).JPG
photo(9).JPG [ 154.36 KiB | Viewed 14874 times ]

i can take more pictures but everytime i try and move the sp this thing that looks like tape is attatching the two boards and i don't know how to disconnect it without doing damage. i unscrewed the scews from the second picture but i still cant remove the board / directly on the other side of that are the knobs, buttons, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:01 pm 

I'm not too sure about electronics but from bending I've learned that there are sometimes sacrificial components by where the power source to help prevent damage from too much power. I'm not sure what the component would be, so I'm sure this won't help, but it may give you a little hope!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:30 pm 

Also from check it it look like someone messed in there, that transistor looks wierdly soldered... hum..

If you don't wanna mess with it anymore i could buy it off you for cheap!

Tell me if you ,re down.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:53 am 

Rabot wrote:
Also from check it it look like someone messed in there, that transistor looks wierdly soldered... hum..

Tell me if you ,re down.

i got an estimate from this repair shop and they told me the motherboard is fried and them replacing it would cost like 400$. but a friend of mine was telling me how i could replace it for only 50$ if i just get some generic mb and not an official boss one , anyone know about this or how i could go about doing this? cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm 

man, if you are in europe i can buy it to you, i need to repair the volume knob in my sp 303. I really would need a broken sp 303. If anyone have please let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 pm 

i don't think there's such thing as generic motherboard. generic power supply, but the PCB is defenitly made by boss or roland. I seriously wish i could just check it out my tools aha.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:11 pm 

templeton wrote:
Rabot wrote:

Tell me if you ,re down.

i got an estimate from this repair shop and they told me the motherboard is fried and them replacing it would cost like 400$. but a friend of mine was telling me how i could replace it for only 50$ if i just get some generic mb and not an official boss one , anyone know about this or how i could go about doing this? cheers

yo also, repair shop like these usually charge lets say 20 buck an hour for repair (at least), and to be honest they'd rather not mess in these devices as they don't have particular experience with those (and probably more with computer/audio system). they'll say the PCB or motherboard is 400 buck when in reality it's probably much cheaper (my guess would be 200) and simply buy a new all made up PCB/motherboard inside.... aka not really repairing it and charging you 40buck + whatever piece might be fried.

BANDCAMP OF DOOM