It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 am

Post subject: SP-303 Multitrack Out
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:28 pm 

I love my 303. The one thing I'm still trying to get my head around? Stereo output. With an MPC for instance, you can send multiple outputs to mix on an external board or inside the computer. In fact I imagine that's one of the reasons many SP users sequence on an MPC.

I also realise that with modern sequencing technology, or even digital 4 - 16 tracks etc. it shouldn't be too hard to play pads/elements one-by-one and put them back together when you arrange it. However, I want to come straight out of the SP-303 and into my old-azz cassette 4-track. If I want to be able to split my beats up into 4 separate tracks to better balance the mix and apply outboard effects later, how would I best go about this?

I know that madlib sends his tracks straight into a little digital board, but I guess my case is different. Any advice? Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Re: SP-303 Multitrack Out
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:18 pm 

a ghetto multitrack technique could be to separate some samples from the others by different pannings. But even with that tactic you just have 2 tracks maximum...

Post subject: Re: SP-303 Multitrack Out
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm 

Only thing I can think of for that is to sequence all your tracks then turn down the volume on all your samples or w/e and then just record you kick/snare track, then mute all but hi-hats and replay the pattern, keep doing this until you have ran through the sequence in all the ways you want. Could two track it, drums on 1 sample on 2, or 3-4 tracks for individual drum sounds and maybe 1-2 for samples depending on how complex the beat is. This is how I would do it if I wanted to track everything out after the fact of making the beat in the 303. I have played around with using ableton/reason to sequence my tracks on different audio takes but not as much fun to sequence between 303 and computer :(