It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:05 am

Post subject: sp-303 questions/mpc 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:15 pm 

Hey, so im thinking about getting a sp-303. I was wondering how you select start and end points of your sample after you record a segment of the record. And also i was wondering you you would go about sequencing on a mpc 500, cause I heard its a tad harder to do on the 303. Im coming from Fruity loops, and I understand theres gonna be some limitations with this machine so im trying to find ways to overcome them. Im also thinking about getting a cassette portastudio, cause im a fan of the grime :) And also is it possibly to sequence in FL and do everything else with the 303?(or sequence with the 500)

thanks yo.

"if hip hop is soooo soooo soooo diverse now why the fuck cant i find it?" - Niq Names

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:15 pm 

Hey man I'm going to try to answer your questions as best I can. I haven't used a 303, just a 202 and 404, but I think I know the deal.

To start and select end points on the 303 (and 404) you record your sample, then hit the "mark" button when you want your sample to start, and then hit it again when you want the sample to loop back around, or stop playing. Then it will only play what is inside the two "marks". You can then use one of the control knobs to fine tune it, in case you're not right on time.

I'm not sure what you mean by your "sequencing" question on the MPC. I mean I understand, I just don't know what you are asking specifically. I've only used an MPC1000 and a 2kXL, but basically you record "sequences" on the MPC, then arrange these sequences in "song" mode. The 303 and 404 just have "pattern" mode, where you can record a pattern, then trigger these patterns manually one after the other to construct a song. You would record this live to the cassette recorder you mention, or into your PC. The 404 will go seamlessly pattern to pattern automatically, so for example you hit pad 1 on bank to trigger pattern 1, then hit pad while it's playing and it will play pattern 2 right after pattern 1 finishes. My understanding is the 303 doesn't wait until it's done, and you have to trigger the different patterns at the correct time (I could be wrong about that, anyone know?) Overall, an MPC will have a superior sequencer, but if you're looking for some simple type shit, and not looking to do much MIDI sequencing (using synths etc) the 303 should suffice. It's pretty different from coming from something like FL, but you'll pick it up if you give it some time.

What do you mean by sequence with FL and do everythign else in the 303? You could make patterns on the 303, then record these to your PC, and load them into FL and sequence them there. You could also just use the 303 as an "effects" box I guess and color your samples and then sequence in FL. I gotta say though, as someone who learned to make beats in FL, using hardware is gratifying even if it takes longer to do something simple. Nothing beats the feeling of making a dope beat without even turning on your PC.

Lemme know if you got more questions and I'll try to answer them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:59 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

You do have to match patterns with correct time on the 303 but this allows you to cut patterns off with another and create interesting stuff on live playback.

Yes you can sequence if FL studio and have it send midi signals to the 303 to activate the samples in the sequence you designed in Fl. You'll need an interface from you computer that supports midi i/o and a midi cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:30 pm 

DR.Sample303 wrote:
You do have to match patterns with correct time on the 303 but this allows you to cut patterns off with another and create interesting stuff on live playback.

Thanks for clarifying man. That sounds dope. I don't mind the way the 404 does it, but that sounds like an advantage for the 303 because you could then do the off time stuff like you say, or you could trigger them right in time for "404 style" pattern playback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:18 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Plus learning to trigger in live time will enhance your skill period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:53 am 

Basically, I want to trigger my sounds on the 303 but controll everything with the mpc or fl. Like making the 303 go into slave mode. So i can make full songs in song mode on the mpc but using sequences from the 303. does that make sense? if not someone clarify, cause im kinda confused too lol.

"if hip hop is soooo soooo soooo diverse now why the fuck cant i find it?" - Niq Names

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:07 pm 

Dr. Tad Winslow wrote:
DR.Sample303 wrote:

Thanks for clarifying man. That sounds dope. I don't mind the way the 404 does it, but that sounds like an advantage for the 303 because you could then do the off time stuff like you say, or you could trigger them right in time for "404 style" pattern playback.

you can turn it off on the 404 so it switches when you hit the pad, like the 303

i know this is late but...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:51 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Really, the 404 is sounding better every day. As long as my 303 works though I really don't have a need for both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 pm 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

how do yopu switch it to live mode

*runs to manual .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:54 am 
Funniest Member of the Year '09

if you mean with sub oad, its not the same as 303 because its on the clock