It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

Post subject: best way to layer samples?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:02 pm 

particularly drums/percussion? im wanting to only use the 303 to sample and then i'll be using a mpc to sequence it and also use the mpc for velocity, midi only (no audio cables in/from the mpc)

so what is the best way to layer mulitple drums/percussion and also have the layered drums "line up" with each other?

im thinking the "ghetto" way of doing it is turn on quantize (although i never use it any other time) and put seperate drums on seperate pads and record multiple sequences that will line up and play at the same time, thus "layering" the recorded drums.

but if any of you are familiar with the Mpc, you know that you can load up multiple sounds and layer them on the same pad without having to re-sample or re-record.

but everytime i run audio cables to and from my mpc and sp303, i have a terrible hiss.

Post subject: Re: best way to layer samples?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:34 pm 

stick to the crude way of doing it. Its not even that cool to use the mpc's layering possibilities because when you use any of the filter effects, it affects all the samples on that pad. You might wanna low filter a kick and layer a unfiltered kick on top.
Just sample a bunch of percussion into your 303 , get em crunchy, then send em over the the mpc and start banging on them together to find a pair of, lets say, kick drums that sound good, then your where you need to be. Sorry but im assuming you have the mpc 1000, which can resample itself, if not then maybe disregard everything ive said.
But i used to layer the drums with the mpc layering, then i was like, fuck this and just started banging on kicks, filtering one really low, and band passing another to get it crunchy, and playing those together.