It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

Post subject: correctly setup 303 with mpc 1000 via MIDI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:39 am 

ive tried and tried to get these 2 machines to connect via MIDI. I want to sample into the Sp 303, apply effects and then instead of sampling into the MPC 1000, I want to Trigger the sounds from the Sp 303. this way I can have Midi tracks setup inside the 1000 for my drums (triggered from the 303) and then seperate tracks for my chopped samples on the 1000.

is there a tutorial (i havent been able to find one) that shows exactly how to connect these 2 machines?

i see the midi chart in the sp 303 manual, but have no idea how to match with the mpc 1000...

Post subject: Re: correctly setup 303 with mpc 1000 via MIDI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:53 am 

if the 303 and the 404 are similair, with midi, then it shouldnt be that hard to set up. Just have to figure out which pad is what. Change the notes in the program window and all is good. I just had to find out which pad was the 404's pad 1, then set that and go up a key/number each pad. once you have it set, you can save that program to recall all those note settings later. The only thing is that i could only control my 404 first bank, bank A. I didnt figure out how to control the other banks and it wasnt as simple as just stepping up the right amount of notes to correspond to the next bank. Something im missing.
If you figure that out, let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 pm 

yeah man, like where you said you could only control bank A. there has to be a way to match everything, not just a few pads. i have a sound module that i have midi'd up perfectly with my keyboard, but just cant get the Sp 303 and my 1000 set up correctly. :cry:

IF i do figure out, i will post back to help others in my shoes..,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:20 pm 

yeah, the 404 says something about that too, like go up one midi channel but it started to sound like japanese to me so i gave up. I went a channel up and it didnt work. But i was extremely high by then so i might try again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:34 pm 

well they are multiple examples inside the sp 303 manual. you've got..

1. Note On Operating With MIDI
2. Using the SP-303 With a MIDI Sequencer (Tempo Sync)
3. Synchronizing Only the Pattern Tempo with a MIDI Sequencer
4. Using the SP-303 as a Rhythm Sound Module
5. Using the SP-303 With a Rhythm Machine
6. Using the Note Messages from the Rhythm Machine to Play the SP-303’s
Samples

Im guessing for what I want to do, I would go with #4 above, right?

I want to sample certain drum one shots inside the Sp 303, and trigger those on my MPC 1000.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:48 am 

i think your looking for number 6. Using note messages from the MPC to play the 303 samples. Probably 4,5 and 6. Just try everything. What i realize is that with MIDI, its less questions and more hands on and trail and error. Thats how i was finally able to resolve a lot of issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:51 pm 

midi could be a lot simpler. So many machines use it, should be some remote plug and play setup. Like, i can get my 808 to start stop with messages from my mpc. But the 404sx wont start the same. It will begin a patter like a few milli seconds in which is weird. It cuts the first sound a bit so i know the timing sync is off. Kinda sucks. My tascam recorded can get the 404 to time sync perfect but the mpc, nope. So weird. Even if i send midi to the mpc and out to the 404 and use the tascam as a master, the 404 will still play late. It needs a direct midi out/in from the tascam. Its an adventure when you try to use midi in any form.