It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:11 am

Post subject: Is the 303 all I need?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:46 am 

I've been researching for a while and thinking buying a SP-303 but at this last second I've been struck by the thought that it might be a waste of money if I can't completely produce music solely on that.

I want a machine I can just punch out beats on and into a computer, I was wondering if I needed an MPC to record to or use it with the 303 in some way, or if what I'm looking to do could be solely done on an SP? (madlib/dilla type beats) If I could hook it up to my computer and recording into a program like Audacity or DAW or something? I'd just like some advice before I purchase if anyone has any.

Prices are looking steep too, is £200+ too much to pay? Is there anything else I need?

Post subject: Re: Is the 303 all I need?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:26 pm 

You can make mad beats with just a 303. But it doesn't come with any factory sounds or anything like that in it. You have to sample all your own sounds. There is no piano like capabilities that a lot of other systems have (e.g. Korg ES's or EX's, Yamaha SU's etc.)

200 pounds sounds a bit on the expensive side but nothing crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:28 pm 

sp-303 needs a companion of some sort. At least for me. 4 banks x 8 pads isn't enough to sample/resample (or not so convenient when using save to card), so a recording device (a computer with audio interface) can be one of the solutions. when it comes to sampling - it depends on what you want to achieve. just plug-in anything with audio output (tv, radio, vcr, pc, youtube, gameboy, walkman, microphone or just bare wires with RCA suckets on one side) and sample/resample/sample/resample and so on.
for a standalone solution i'd choose sp-404sx (never used those) over 303. but i'm fully satisfied with a 303 :)

upd. forgot to mention that the limitations of the 303 make you use it in more creative and original way (there is so much more to this machine than shown in various vids). I payed ~165 pounds for this machine without a card in a country, where this type of hardware is rare and hard to get and the prices are always superhigh on used stuff... I think I wouldn't have payed more than that....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:08 am 

im thinkin the same ... if i get a 303 ... i might just run something else through it like another 404 .. and just use it for its compression ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 am 

i just read you cant trigger the sounds of a sp 404 to an mpc sequencer because the sp has to have midi out?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:33 pm 

The mpc will have midi out, the sp will have midi in. So in theory, the mpc will be the master(duh, it has the superior sequencer) and the sp303/404sx slaved. If you can, ask or figure out how you you'll trigger your sp pads from the mpc's pads.

www.mpc-forums.com might have the answers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:02 pm 

hmmmmmmm prove it buddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:32 pm 

Headphones is right.
the mpcs got midi out so they can send midi notes/messages. the sps 303/404 can only reeive notes or messages 'cause they just have midi in. the transmission of notes is really simple: if you put the mpc to the same receiving midi channel as the sps, then push a pad on the mpc and the corresponding pad on the sp will sound (if there is a sample obviosuly).
nothing to be scared of.
for "midi messages" i mean start/stop/bpm sync. so the mpc can control (master) other machine as the sp303/404 (slave) changing their bpm or their stop/start thing when in pattern mode.
if it's not clear enough try to read sp303 manual, in the last pages this is explained easly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:15 am 

ediBranchez wrote:
hmmmmmmm prove it buddy

You got your proof, but if you don't believe me, then have fun trying to make your sp the master slaved to the mpc. Because you'll hit a wall because only the sp606, sp505, and sp555 could do this. The 202/303/404 can't!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 am 

oh na i dont want to make the sp the master slaved to the mpc. I was just wondering how do what you guys just stated and thats being able to sequence the 303 sounds into the mpc sequencer...but my anology still lead me to beieving that you still have to know a good mix with every sound in the 303 because even tho it will be tracked out in the mpc ... you still have to use those sounds the way they are in the sp... which leads to my question ..with this ^^ forumula .. how can you get everything tracked out so that you can get a solid mix?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:07 am 

and when its being tracked out in the MPC ...can you use the mute groups on the mpc , while you are triggering those sp pads.???